1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does Duratex devalue a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by punkrocko, Dec 22, 2012.

1. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

Hypothetical question, looking for opinions.

Since most any mod tends to devalue an item; if you were purchasing a used cab, would you expect to pay less for one that had been refinished with Duratex, then one that has the original finish in good condition?

I have an Aguilar GS series cab that I’m thinking of refinishing. I have a tendency to turn over gear based on my current needs. I love the cab right now, but down the road it may not fit my needs, and I don’t want to do anything to hurt its resale value.

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Usually if something has been refinished, there was something wrong with the original finish/covering. Was it abused? Was it a factory issue? What is the seller hiding?

These are three questions I ask myself when I see something for sale that has been refinished

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I think it depends if you are selling to a player or collector.
    As a player I would rather see the Duratex than "rat fur" or old dry,torn tolex. If I was just a collector it would severely damage the collector value.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

If there's something wrong with the original covering then you're already taking a hit on resale value. If nothing is wrong with the original covering then don't fix what aint broke. The real question is how experienced are you with duratex? If you can't do a "factory quality or better" finish then don't even attempt it if you're concerned with resale.

Maybe you just need a padded Tuki cover to protect the original covering.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1

7. rpsands

rpsands

It may be a side-effect of playing nothing but custom/small builder cabs for so long but Duratex isn't an issue for me.

8. edbass

edbass

+1
    Although IMO Duratex is the most practical for a working players gear. Not elegant or pretty, but plenty practical.

I wonder why relic'ed rigs haven't had their "15 minutes" like relic'ed instruments did.
    I know Fender took a stab at them a while back but I don't think they were anywhere near as lucrative for FMIC's bottom line as their Roadworn series has been.

9. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I think Duratex can look kinda pretty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    well played, dude, well played. :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Duratex CAN look pretty, depending on how good the person putting it on is. But it devalues the cab if the cab is in otherwise good condition. I certainly wouldn't pay as much for a stripped and Duratexed cab.

12. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I guess I assumed the cab NEEDED to be refinished, or why the heck would you? Now, if someone had an AWESOME sounding cab covered in rat fur and went through the trouble to 'skin the rat' and refinish the cab with Duratex, I'd be grateful to that person :)

Hope you have a great holiday, Jimmy! It seems Rocky and the Rollers are gigging a lot...congrats!

13. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I've never used Duratex, but from everything I've read here and in other forums, it's easy to get a "pro" finish on the first try. If you can roll latex paint on a wall, you can roll Duratex on a box.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Duratex is awesome. If well done, I'd pay more for it than for a carpet or tolex.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Same here - best cab covering available, IMO...

- georgestrings

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Thanks Mark...yeah, been slammed until last week. And I see your point about rat fur for sure!

17. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. A big plus is Duratex is a breeze to repair if it gets nicked up.