1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does GT10B or M13 have enough synth effects??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by irbass, Jan 15, 2013.

1. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

I need help, I will start to use some effects but i don't have experience with that.

I'm looking for dry synth sounds, but a nice synth sound with bass, not keyboard.

I was planning to get.

MXR envelope filter + Source audio env. filter pro + Digitech wah env. filter + MXR bass chorus deluxe w/flanger + Isp Decimator and I have sansamp tech 21 bass driver.
    This probably will be my setup in first place. I got this setup after reading a lot.
    (Digitech wah will work w/ sansamp to have some distorcion)

-But i was looking at boss GT-10B and line 6 M13 and maybe will be easier to have a one pedal board than single pedals.

-And maybe one pedalboard w/ a synth pedal ( Ex: Boss GT-10 + markbass synth)

So already looked here and youtube, but I need help, any idea , any thought, will be helpful.

avoid too expensive pedal (ex: Roland Gr 55. i know is good but too pricey )

Thank's a lot.

2. Phagor

Phagor

3 filters? Might be overkill. I don't have one, but I think the Source Audio env filter can probably cover the same ground as the MXR.

I would recommend adding an octave pedal to this setup, maybe the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe or a second-hand Boss OC-2. This will give you a synthy grunt under those filters.

The other classic element is a gated fuzz - Zvex Wooly Mammoth, Iron Ether Oxide. Even though you want a dry synth sound, fuzz (plus octave) is a great starting point and can be tamed heavily with your filters.

As for multieffects, you should probably add the Zoom B3 to your list to check out - Gastric has got good results with the synths on this.

3. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

There are a lot of strengths to the GT-10. The synth is not one of them. I have a EHX bass micro synth in the effects loop to account for this.

You can get a decent synth using it, but it will never be what analog stuff can give you.

4. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

both guitarist in my band have m13s as well as myself. I love it. but we arent synth heavy so i usually use it for spacey reverbs, delays and drive.

m13 is a lot of pedal for the money though.. the loop station alone is a $299 pedal .. and its part of the m13. i found all of ours used for 300-350ea

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Don't have the Boss, but I do have the M13 and an M5. You can get some synth sounds, however I am not fond of them. I really like the SoundBlox Bass Distortion Pro and Bass Envelope Filter Pro combo for synthy sounds. The Line 6 is great for modulation effects, and the bass octave model is pretty darn good.

Either way some kind of dirt, filter, and bass octave

Another cool, but totally different vibe is something like the EHX HOG. I did gig with that for a while, but it sounded more like an organ rather than a synth. My guitar player actually preferred that one.

7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    No, they're both poor for quality bass synth tones.

8. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

@Phagor

The Zvex Wooly Mammoth is nice, but is a little pricey.
    I'll keep in mind - fuzz + octave + synth. Sounds really cool on youtube. Give the dry i'm looking for.

I'll keep mind m13 too, just to get the delay, chorus, reverb, loop + a nice synth pedal. i just don't know which one.

Where i live there's 1 small guitar center and one small samash, so they have just the popular pedals ( Digitech, Zoom and some Boss that's it)

This is why i need some input here on TB's

Please guy's keep going this is helping me a lot.
    Thank's

9. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

Give your thoughts, about a nice synth pedal.

Thank's a lot

10. PaulieSantino

PaulieSantino

Hey! I have tried some effects in the last few months myself and have found that the M9 is a really cool place to start if you're looking to startout with pedals and effects. The Synths sounds might not be as cool as some of the standalone effects, but you get so many options with the M9 and you can try out so many effetcs to find out what you really like.
    I'm using the synths sounds of the M9 and I really like them, especially together with the octaver and the expression pedal (the octaver on its own together with the expression pedal for the tone is like a synth).
    I would start with a M9 oder maybe just a M5 and then go from there.

11. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

M9 will be nice, but in my opinion is pricey, but nice