Does Hypnotism Work? (Self or Other)...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Has anyone here used Hypnotism (Self...or done by a pro hypnotist) to achieve a specific goal you had in mind?

Did it work for you?
  2. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I guess supposedly it does but i've always wanted someone to attempt hypnotizing me as they say there's a certain % of people on who it just won't work and i like to assume i'd be in those but i'd like to know for sure.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Aliens.

Seriously if you don't believe it will work it probably won't. It just relaxing and opening your subconscious to suggestion. I've had it done and felt I could break out of it if I wanted to. It was a compelling feeling of wanting to participate.
  4. Icey101

Icey101

i think you have to really want to be hypnotized, its not like in the abbot and costello movies...look deep into my eyes etc
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Everyone *can* be hypnotitzed. It's an altered state, and we humans go into and out of altered states all the time.
    That doesn't mean that every hypnotist can create an altered state in every person.

Does it work? It can work very well, depending on who you work with and what you want to work on.
  7. bassteban

bassteban

I have been told you need to believe in it for it to work, which makes sense to me
  8. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Thats not what i heard from hypnotists.
  9. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Thay told you that while you were hypnotized.
  10. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I agree with the last part. Some people need a detailed explanation on the process and must really let go and want it to work for it to be a viable experience. Others seem to just fall right into it (not as many as those who need to work at it from what I've read).

I use some relaxation techniques from time to time to help me wind down or perhaps to focus on a goal, I believe I'm using a form of self hypnosis when I do this. It does work for me, it doesn't immediately take me to where I want to go but it does definitely help if I let it.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Self hypnotism is possible and can be an effective way to manage chronic pain. I use it instead of pain medication and it works really well for me. It does away with the low level daily pain and will give me relief from the occasional debilitating stuff that used to require medication and staying off my legs/feet for a few days to get past. The book I used to learn how told of people using it to undergo major surgery without being knocked out.

It's really more very deep relaxation than anything else, but that's what it takes me to be open to the idea that I can walk when it hurts so bad I'd rather just give up and sulk about not being able to. I discussed it with my doctor to make sure I would not be doing any physical harm by blocking the pain and walking and he said he couldn't see me doing any more damage than has already been done.

That said, I still give in and stay home instead of going out when things get so bad I just need to lay in the dark and endure it for a while, but for all but the absolute worst I can talk myself into believing there is no pain, or at least not enough to be a problem.

Last of all, my brother used it to help quit smoking. He got his first treatment and quit that day. It lasted more than a month before he started back smoking, but he went back for a second round and he is now going on 3 years smoke free.
  12. pedroims

pedroims

I have seen friends of mine being hypnotized, funny as hell, they did everything the hypnotizer told them to do: Jump, dance, kiss the man that is at your left. They were practically in the hypnotizer's hands, something that I think is quite dangerous.

Anyway, one of the things the hypnotizer told them was that the smell of cigarrette was the most repulsive thing on earth, that starting that day they would not smoke anymore. Well the true is that my friends could not smoke for the next couple of days without feeling that they wanted to vomit. After two days the feeling dissapeared and they started smoking again.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You will send $20.00 to me via PayPal...
  14. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

Just as I was logging into my paypal to do that, I realized that I don't have your paypal account :(

Just as I was logging into my paypal to do that AGAIN, I realized that I don't have your paypal account :(
    Just as I was logging into my paypal to do that AGAIN, I realized that I don't have your paypal account :(
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Hypnotism only works if you want to be hypnotized, i.e. play along.
  16. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

they say some are susceptible and some aren't.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, to everyone who sent me $20.00
  18. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Well this thread shows that there are a heck of a lot of misconceptions about hypnotism. Some of you are kidding around and sure it's easy to make light of something you've never considered.

It's sort of like when a bass player says something like "Hey, you know the bass guitar is THE most important instrument in the band!" and then someone asks, "What's a bass guitar?"
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have considered and looked into it. Even trained hypnotists know it has to do with whether they play along.
  20. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    If you want to change something about you...a habit..then you have to make the change a habit itself.

The Marines will tell you it takes two weeks for anything to become a habit. They are pretty much correct.

As far as hypnosis...its only temporary. You can get someone to think 2 is February and vice versa...but it only last a minute.
  21. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

It's great to hear that you've gotten such good results managing chronic pain with hypnosis--it's one modality I haven't pursued, though it's been suggested. Would you mind detailing your experience a little more? If you're ok discussing, I'd love to hear. PM if you prefer. Thanks!