1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

does ibanez have a bad rep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ROFLMFAO, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ROFLMFAO

ROFLMFAO

after looking over a few threads, i'm getting the idea that ibanez basses are considered to be crap by a lot of bass players. my current favorite bass is my ibanez SR506, i don't have any problems with it whatsoever. am I missing something?
  2. tbassist4

tbassist4

Nope - a lot of bass and guitar players are pretty obsessed with picking sides, and then they'll attack any brand that's different from what they like. I don't own any Ibanez basses, but I've been really impressed with the ones I've tried. People who don't like Ibanez or any other brand for that matter usually tried the crappiest intro bass in the store and then based their opinion of the entire brand on that experience.

In short - no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ibanez.
  3. Mike M.

Mike M.

If if works for you then you're not missing anything!

If anything, I think a lot of people don't care for the thinner necks/tighter string spacing which is why some folks diss them.
  4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Ibanez is a great company that produces great basses and guitars.
  5. ROFLMFAO

ROFLMFAO

this is good to know. thanks!
  6. Zoa

Zoa

Deja vu anyone?
  7. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Hey, right? LOL

I have a SR500 and I love the bass. There are guys on here that bash Ibanez, but have 3 or 4 modded SX Fender copy basses. I don't get it either. Play what you like, but like what you play.
  8. dalkowski

dalkowski

Choose any maker—even Fender—and you'll find lovers and haters here. If you like your Ibby, then rock the hell out of it with a big smile on yer face. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

PS: That's my old Ibby in my avatar photo.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nope there's nothing wrong with Ibanez basses. Ibanez soundgear basses happens to be one of the best bass guitars I ever played. many people has personal taste when it comes to bass guitars. chances are some people would be a little critical about Ibanez basses. the only thing that matters is if Ibanez basses sound good to you. if you like it, stick with it. never let anyone judge you for it.
  10. vonsparks

vonsparks

I personally love my ibanez 4 string! I love the skinny neck and the sound. I have a schecter which is great for some stuff but my ibanez is brilliant for other stuff!

So no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with ibanez, its all down to personal preference at the end of the day, if it works for you than thats all that matters!
  11. carlos840

carlos840

You will always have both sides of the coin!

I personally think they are crap!
    Played a few and always thought the necks where to thin, the fit and finish pretty bad and IMO the pickups and preamps are horrible!
    ( I recently helped a friend rip out the pickup and preamp in an old PJ ibanez and it sounded much better with passive Seymour Duncan pickups!)

Still some people sound good on them and like them! Those people would probably hate my basses...
  12. tabdog

tabdog

It is a matter of taste.

There are several basses I wont buy
    because the neck does not suit me.
    Ibanez is one.

Others do not share the same taste
    in necks.

It's the same with the rest of the features.

There is nothing wrong with Ibanez guitars.
    Just funny folks,

Tabdog
  13. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

The ones I've tried have sounded nice and felt good, and I haven't heard anyone complain about them. I currently use a Cort GB4 Custom and an Ibanez RS-924 (late 70's/early 80's model). My first bass was a cheap (got it for a 12-pack of beer) Ibanez TR-100 (iirc). I kind of regret giving it away, as it was a nice bass.
  14. DogBone

DogBone

^^^ This!

And you can repeat exactly the same thing for so many brands of basses and amps, especially those that have entry level equipment in their product lines.

That inexpensive Squier as a first bass that never had a setup in it's life - "Squiers are crap" (never mind the CVs or VMs or JVs).

Same thing for that first Peavey Foundation bass - "Peaveys are crap" (never mind that most saying such things have never laid eyes, much less hands, on a Cirrus.)

It's the nature of the beast. Best thing is just play what you want and be your own judge. :)
  15. waleross

waleross

Now a days, you find instant internet opinions not based on what a person has experienced or owned but what they have "heard on the internet". Consider the source, in my case I can't knock what I never played or owned. There are so many more choices at all price points that it is hard to keep up with it. Entry level basses, guitars and amps always get knocked goes with the territory. Good luck, :)
  16. RiGarcia1983

RiGarcia1983

Loved that iceman bass.
  17. kraigo

kraigo

Usually I'm not a fan of their aesthetics, but I think they're well made instruments and usually provide good value for the dollar. I absolutely love my Artcore AGB-140.

KO
  18. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I have an Ibanez SR300 with black beauties and I love the deep thump that it gives. It's a great fat sound that I love for chugging along to AC/DC or for the nice root-fifth "boom" of old country. I also have an Ibanez SRX350 tuned BEAD with Power Slinky's and it gives me that nice cutting sound for some Marilyn Manson stuff that I play. I love the thin necks, playability, sound variety, and price.

On the other hand, I've tried out some Fender basses in my local shop and I love the look of them and the iconic sound/vibe but I just can't get into playing one. I find the necks too "chunky" and that they're not as "playable" for me. Now there will be guys that love Fenders for the reason I love Ibanez and guys that don't like Ibanez for the reasons I don't like Fenders...play a few, find what you like, and go from there. I learned that quickly from the guys on here. There are good and bad basses of all kinds. I tested a Peavey I thought sounded like a toy and felt like cheap plastic and then played a Cirrus and was blown away...just try em out and get what you like.
  19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    not by anyone who knows what they're talking about.

read: you're worrying way too much about e-peen from this board. if you're new it's hard to get over but you will. just play more, forum less. :bassist:
  20. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I picked up an Ibby Sound Gear bottom feeder 4 string in a deal along with the stuff I actually wanted. My intention was to blow it out or give it away to a deserving kid.
    However, 3 years later, I still have it. Admittedly I never gig with it, but I do play it almost daily to work out songs and lines. It does have a narrow fast neck, but that's what I like. It stays in tune and intonation, and I get a decent sound out of it. With this one experience in mind, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone. Hell, they cost less than a super duper snake oil guitar cord.
    I have never tried a high end one, but I'm curious.