1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does it sound like my new/used GK 410 SB blown??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gregmon79, Dec 23, 2012.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Effectheadaholic Supporting Member

Hey everyone, so I ended up trading in my hartke 115 and got a used gk 410, I believe its an SB. Anyway, I got it home and I plug into it and I start pushing it pretty hard to see what she'll take and what shes gonna sound like in a jam setting. Not so hard that I'm gonna kill it though, I'm not that stupid. Anyway, I kick up the woofer high at first and set the gain really low, almost off with my boost at about half way. Well guess what, im getting some kind of static/distortion and it almost sounds like a cone(s) is/are damaged. Now I'm not using a GK speakon cable yet, they didn't have one, so I'm going in with a quarter inch. The cab is used and I'm thinking they didn't check this thing out before they put it on the sales floor. I'd be happy with it, very happy, if it weren't for the static/distorted sounds. Does this sound like something any of you have had problems with these cabs before, is it something I'm doing wrong? Btw, the static isn't there ALL the time, only when its pushing some deep bass and or a deep note. In other words, it doesn't sound right to me but I don't know if IM doing something wrong or if its the cab. I've got the horn knob on the back set to normal and the little red switch turned to full range too.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

First thing to do is the battery test. Unplug the 1/4" from the amp and touch a 9 volt battery to the plug, positive to the tip negative to the sleeve. All cones should move and you should hear a clip or thump, no scratchiness at all. If one cone or more does not move that speaker(s) is bad. Noise other than a thump or click means a speaker maybe damaged. Check all speaker mounting screws for even tightness. If all move and no strange sounds it could be cab rattle from loose hardware or separated glue joints that need to be re-glued.

3. gregmon79

Never heard of that test before, awesome! Great advice I'll do that. Its better than taking it back and waiting forever to get it repaired. Good thing I got the plan on it in case it dies need repairs. They should fix it at least. Because I want to keep this thing.

4. gregmon79

Btw, you said "negitive to the sleeve". The sleeve???

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

Is it the SBX cab? SBX410's were sealed cabs with a horn, real workhorses. SBX came standard with "rat fur".

7. B-string

The long silver part behind the tip. There will be a insulator between the tip and sleeve (or barrel).

8. gregmon79

I'm sorry, I don't understand. You take a 9 volt battery and you then??........

The model on back says 410SBX

9. B-string

One end of a 1/4" speaker cable plugged into the cab, free 1/4" plug you touch the battery to. Positive to the tip should move all speaker cones away from the cab's back panel (note turn the horn "pad" control down).

10. gregmon79

I just did the test. All 4 speakers are clicking BUT, the top right speaker is the only one that is MOVING BACKWARD. All the other 3 speakers are are moving OUTWARD. Does that mean that speaker is damaged?

11. gregmon79

Also after that test, I plugged back in and played through it while I pushed it up there, the master at noon and the gain at 9 and boost at noon as well. That top right speaker distorts and moves much more than the other three. I do believe that that speaker is "blown" right??

12. B-string

That means the top right speaker is wired BACKWARDS. The speaker needs to be un-screwed and the wires changed to the opposite speaker terminals. Then try the cab again. That one speaker is fighting the other three!

13. gregmon79

How could that be? I believe you and it makes perfect sense but does that mean someone has been in there and done stuff to it you think? And if it is sounding distorted does that mean its blown still or will rewiring it fix that issue?

14. gregmon79

Or maybe it came like that from the factory.......... the cab isn't beat up but it does show some signs of wear and tare so.....

15. gregmon79

And, how the heck do I even get the cage off to get at the dang speaker??

16. B-string

IIRC there are screws holding the grill on. Someone has been in that cab and the one speaker pulling in drives the other top speaker out more than the signal actually calls for.

You could take it back to the store and have them correct it?

17. gregmon79

That's what I'm doing tomorrow. I have taken the speaker out and switched the wires. It still goes INward. I tried both ways. And its still going inward. Also, now that I see the cone in good light up close, there is a couple of creases in the material that the cone is made of. Right around the dome in the middle. I'm taking back in tomorrow, hopefully they will fix this. Thank you so much for the help B, very helpful and knowledgeable.

18. B-string

Your welcome! It is a very good cab when all speakers work together.

19. gregmon79

I can tell it is. That's why I'm very very hopeful that Sam ash takes care of me, and fixes/replaces the speaker. I will be happy indeed.