1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does mahogany make good bass necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Benberg, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Benberg

Benberg

I've tried to find some topics on it, but I can't really find that many.

I know guitars acoustic and electric use mahogany, but I haven't found anything about it for bass guitars.

The only thing about bass guitars was that mentioned, is that mahogany tends to be softer, so you would need to put in some stiffening rods.

Thanks for all advice

-Alex

2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I made a mahogany neck on my last bass. I did laminates, no stiffening rods, it's a 4 string bass. Seems fine so far.

3. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    My '67 Starfire neck is mahogany and it's very nice. Very stable.

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Gibson Thunderbirds are all mahogany (aside from the thin full length laminates) and other Gibson basses like the EB series have mahogany bodies and necks. Fender most always used maple, Gibson mahogany.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wagz

Wagz

Ovation Magnums are all Honduran Mahogany too. The necks are mahogany with three graphite rods and an ebony fretboard... SUPERstable and killer tone.

7. hover

hover Banned

My fave tonewood, and the 76 t-bird I babysat for a few years had a GREAT neck.

8. JayGunn

JayGunn Gold Supporting Member

Take a look at these 2 links. They reveal a lot about the differences between mahogany and hard maple. The important stats are Elastic Modulus and Shrinkage. Mahogany is a lot less stiff than maple, but also moves a lot less with humidity changes. And that TR ratio of 1.4 is really good in mahogany and at 2.1 is really not so good in maple.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/honduran-mahogany/
    http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/hard-maple/

Conclusion, supported by experience, is that mahogany is a really good wood for necks IF you don't try to make the neck super thin, since it's more flexible, or if you add some graphite to increase its stiffness.

Another conclusion, supported by my own experience of making a lot of furniture and kitchen cabinets out of hard maple, is that it's actually better than the statistics make it sound. Still, it does move a lot, which is why Warmouth says "Maple must be finished to protect from warping." (http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Necks/BassNeckWoods.aspx).

Some day if we can buy sustainable Cuban Mahogany (dream on...) it will be the ultimate stuff for a lot of wood working. Actually a separate species, it is harder, heavier, stiffer, but still mahogany. I have never used it buy my dad has...

9. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Roll with the Mahogany, you will be fine. I would run a stiffing rod thru it just because of the constant string tension.
    It makes for a beautiful neck or body. Here is a Cigar box guitar I am building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Mahogany is just fine for a bass neck, its a tried and true neck material.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

flying v: mahogany body and neck with a roasted maple fret board, pretty darn good

12. abemo

abemo

With a lot of traditional guitar building (which has carried over into acoustic bass), honduran mahogany is all they will use. Mine works great, no stiffening rods, just mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, and a truss.

13. reverendrally

reverendrally

Should be fine. Best if you use a scarf joint and a volute.