1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does MIA always = better instrument?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

There's a lot of debate over Mexican vs American and this is not one of them. But does MIA mean a better instrument? I've looked at Wishbasses and people report bent necks, sketchy wiring and pickup locationing. So what do you reckon?

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

Are you talking just about Fender here? Or are you comparing ALL the basses out there?

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have yet to find an MIM that I like. The MIM models are made with different components than MIA so for me, MIA is better. However, every manufacturer goes through good and bad production runs. I have seen some bad MIA Fenders and some great ones. I'm sure the same is true for MIM but I haven't seen one that impressed me enough to want to buy it. I have also seen some good and bad basses from Carvin, Alembic, G & L, Rickenbacker and other manufacturers. I believe that in most cases you get what you pay for but you also have to make sure that you carefully inspect whatever you are buying.

4. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner

Better is in the eyes of the person who owns it. Every persons idea of what is better for them is different

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

America has the best resources, and labor.

I don't know, though. The Chinese might have all the mass production companies beat, with their fit and finish.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Always, no - usually, yes...

- georgestrings

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

I'm the proud owner of an Indonesian built G&L L2000, the so called Tribute series. I can't speak for others, but mine is absolutely flawless. The neck is dead straight and fits the pocket perfectly. There are no high or low frets. The pickup and bridge placement are spot on. The blueburst finish is superb. The price was less than half the price of an instrument made in Fullerton. So to my opinion there are more places on the globe where good quality can be produced.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Around here, US products (music or other) have a reputation for being overpriced, sturdy and reparable.
    It doesn't necessarely mean reliable or better quality.

10. pedroims

pedroims

No ALWAYS, specially if we include Gibson. If we are talking about Fender only then I would say that many times YES but the difference is not that big, all depends on what you are comparing: Standard MIM is more like the American Special, Classic MIM, Marcus Miller are more like the American Standard; RW MIM are great so the new American Vintage.

11. travhop42

travhop42

One thing American made guitars have that others don't:

Resale value.

It does not always mean a better instrument. Remember they are made of tree wood and metal. Both can be unpredictable.

12. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Perception = Reality.

13. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

This is cute, but it really makes you think.

In the not too distant future "Made on the Moon" will carry significant clout.

14. Royalewithcheez

Royalewithcheez

ITT people justify their MIM

15. RobbieK

RobbieK

Absolutely.

Provided the A stands for Australia. :)

16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

When I decided to put a P-bass in the arsenal, I tried out several MIAs and went home with an MIJ.

The low B on my Korean-made Epiphone EBM-5 rivals those on my Carvins.

The build quality of my Korean-made Schecter Stiletto Studio-8 also rivals my Carvins or my Rickenbacker.

Good (and bad) instruments come from all over the world.

And we haven't even heard from the Warwick crowd yet.;)

17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It might be wise to consider a Wishbass as a starting point. The one I had was a thing of potential beauty. Incredible woods but the finish work might not be the best.

18. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

19. milkman-27

milkman-27

I think used to it did. Things have changed. CNC machines have changed things.

20. Mtnman

Mtnman

Does always ever really mean always????

21. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Not always. People who bury their heads in the sand tend to have reality impinge upon their perceptions all too often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.