1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does MusiciansFriend.com do a New Years sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

They've nearly always got a 15% off deal going, I was just wondering if this extended to New Years as well. With my Christmas gifts incoming, I may have enough cash (with what I've already saved) to order my G&L Tribute L2000 :D
  2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

They normally do. I however, have a deal that I do at 2 of my closest Guitars Centers to me. Because Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are both the same company and send out the same 15% discount at the same time and it's usually once a month, 2 of the stores I go to, simply take off 23% for me. They know Musician's Friend doesn't charge tax or shipping and they have to match that 15% price of that but they have to charge tax so therefore, they simply give me 23% my order and it usually equals out. I just bought my son a new Sterling by Music Man Sub Silo 3. It normally sells for $199.99 plus tax. After my discount, I got it for $169.00 out the door and they threw in a free gig bag and pair of strings too. Not too long ago, I got a Music Man Stingray 4H that was new but old stock for $950.00 out the door. I guess it had been in their warehouse for a while and got overlooked. Still had the case candy, plastic over the pickguard and had been untouched for 2 years.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

They seem to have a sale for everything.
  4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    God. i used to work for Guitar Center/Musician's Friend. They have damn "sales event" for everything. "It's the "Ain't nothing going on this weekend so let's have a sale sales event." It was so annoying.

Here's the deal. Buy it from GC.com. If it goes on sale take advantage of the 30 price guarantee. (I think MF has this too) This applies to their own coupons also. So if you buy something with a 10% off coupon and then a 15% off comes out, you can return it and flip it for the lower price.

The sales guys hate this because they are paid commission. I did it because I actually liked to help my customers.

Another tip: GC will price match any authorized dealer. This includes GC.com, MF, in most cases Amazon, Music 123 and pretty much any other website.
  5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Sometimes I see reference to 20% off sales for MF, or a $100 coupon from GC. When do these normally come around? And how do you get around the "some manufacturers choose not to participate" heck looking at the list, none participate?
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    You can't get around the "some manufacturers" clause. These are called "hard minimum". Apple, Bose, Fulltone are examples. These have very little margin anyway.

A make has the option to opt out of a coupon. This is common. J.C Penny puts out coupons and Levi's is always excluded.

If the 20% is better make GC price match. Generally it pretty close.
  7. warnergt

warnergt

I saw a 20% off with MF just recently. It was the first one I
    had seen in a couple years. I have seen many 15% off offers
    in the last month or two but, except for that, even the 15%
    discounts seem less prevalent than they used to be.

From my experience, MF discounts are unpredictable. If you
    see the discount you want and you know you will eventually
    buy the item one way or another, go for it!
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Sure you can. You call another retailer that beats the price of their competitors. IME, it works every time.

GC has a 15% off coupon but won't let you use it on X? Call Sweetwater and tell them GC has a 15% off coupon, and you want to buy X. They'll give you more than 15% off...
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Only downside is the Markbass thing, don't think Sweetwater carries it.
  10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Few do. Only a couple of bass manufacturers didn't exclude themselves. It's frustrating because I would get these "coupons" about every week. It's just marketing to get you to the site.

I prefer Amazon, where you can easily browse through many sellers best prices. Music123 included, which is an alias company of MF.
  11. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

MF recently sent me a one-off 20% coupon by email. I phoned tonight to ask about a bass I was interested in. (Recently Fender had lowered prices across the line.) The CSR put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back to tell me they could not apply the 20% discount to the price displayed on the website. It would have been about $100 more. Oops, sale lost for MF. Perhaps I will try GC. At least there it's returnable locally if need be. :ninja:
  12. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Fender has their price discount this month and they are not part of any other coupon deal. So, that means - you need to look who participate and who is excluded from the deal (read fine print)...
  13. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

GC has 20% off today!
  14. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    The question was "can you get around" the clause in the coupon. The answer is no.

What you describe is a called a "price match". This is different. You won't be using the coupon.

The examples I mentioned (apple, bose etc.) are hard prices. Try to find a new 15 inch 2.6 Ghz Retina display MacBook Pro For less than $2799 from an authorized dealer. I dare you. Google Fultone OCD. It's $135 everywhere. Bose L1-$899

If someone at Sweetwater is honoring a GC coupon on excluded items they better be careful. They can pull dealerships (and have) for this type of thing. Besides Mac and Bose have about a 10% margin, so a 15% coupon is losing money especially is they are throwing in free shipping.