1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does my Marshall MB-150 need a new pre-amp tube, or is it worse?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Flatpicker, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Flatpicker

Flatpicker

I have played through a Marshall MB-150 for about the last 3 years. I bought this used, so I don't know how old it is. I have loved this amp until now.

The Classic Channel supposedly uses a 12AX7 pre-amp tube.

When playing through Classic channel, as I am wont to do, if I turn the gain & volume up to live band-type levels (about 12 Noon on both volume and gain knobs), my signal will infrequently distort or break up (not in a good, fuzzy way, but in a loss-of-signal-sounds-like-thunder-in-the-distance kind of way). At first I thought I blew the speaker, but after further review that is not the problem at all.

I suspect the tube because the Modern channel, which does not employ the tube, produces no such issues. I can turn it up loud, even with a Sansamp DI cranked up and no problems.

There are no other signs of bigger issues like bad caps, no scratchy or crackly pots or anything.

I'm a total amateur, and would appreciate any wisdom on this. Including how & where to change the preamp tube.