1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does playing thru a tuner affect sound quality

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowdown53, Jul 27, 2013.

1. lowdown53

lowdown53

Is there any noticeable difference in playing thru a tuner (Boss TU3) vs using a tuner port on the amp? :meh:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

The TU3 has a buffer, which can actually improve the sound if you have a passive bass and long cables, or if you're going straight into a passive direct box.

3. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Sometimes, yes. It depends on the tuner.

I don't know about the TU3, but a quick A/B test should let you know.

For example, the Korg DTR1000 and 2000 have been guilty of changing my tone, but the DTR1 is nice and clean.

There are some who believe that ALL tuners change the tone, to the point of saying, "No tuner should have an 'output' jack".

Trust your ears; the A/B test will tell you.

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

Any tuner that has a "true bypass" should have no impact on the sound. If it does not, then it can.

In reality, every time you add a cable and two more jacks, there's a theoretical impact on the signal, and the possibility of creating noise, but that doesn't keep people from successfully running through a whole music store worth of pedals.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I just got a Polytune and I hear no diff but its quality; true bypass. Highly rated and it lives up to the hype. Outstanding piece of kit. I tried a couple of other brands and this kicks them all. The boss tu2 was second pick. Imagine: strum all strings at once and you see them all at once. Oops the A is out, pluck it and it switches to chromatic mode instantly. Technology rules. If you're looking, seek no further.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a TU-2 and if it makes any difference I've never noticed it. There are two very relevant issues -

First, does it make an AUDIBLE difference?
    Second, is that difference "better" or not?

I suggest that it's not worth worrying about. Other factors in the signal chain are much more significant.

8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Both of mine do, but I run mine parallel with my rig so the tuner is not part of my actual signal chain so it solved that issue. For example ill run the "sans amp" 1/4 out of my sans amp RBI to the power amp, but the dry 1/4 out which I otherwise wouldn't be using goes to the tuner. I can't mute and tune but I've gotten away from stopping and tuning between songs. It just kills the energy, so I just glance at the rack mount here and there while I'm playing to make sure I'm good. In all honesty with most of my basses as long as the strings have been stretched its not something I really have to worry about. I can hear if its way off

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Had one for awhile and like it a lot. I needed a second tuner so I thought I'd try the Korg Blackout. It's cool but not near as easy to use as the Polytune. It tunes OK and I can't tell any difference in sound, but it's harder to see in the dark than the Polytune so it takes longer.

10. ggunn

ggunn

I use a clip on tuner. It doesn't affect the sound at all. :D

11. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Not as much as being out of tune.

12. 96tbird

That made my day! :)

13. ggunn

ggunn

Are you talking to me? My clip on tuner works fine and is nearly as accurate as my Conn Strobotuner. I wouldn't use it for setting intonation, but it's plenty good for stage work.

14. 96tbird

Pretty sure he is answering the thread title directly.

15. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Si.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Point: Scott!:cool: