1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does round core, hexagonal core effect tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by musikman43155, Feb 4, 2014.

1. musikman43155

musikman43155

A few months ago, I set up my Jazz bass with 50 - 110 DR Low Rider strings, mostly because that's what the local store had available. I would like to use some DR Hi Beams with a round core instead. I have slightly more string height than I'd like, & I think using 45 - 105 will make it about perfect.

However, will changing from a hex to round core additionally effect tension noticeably enough to cause the bass to fret out with the lighter strings? I know there's a noticeable difference on my guitars when switching from round to hex core.

Just looking for some input before I order the strings later tonight.

BTW I'm a new member. I've been lurking for a few weeks & I love the forum. :bassist:
  2. lz4005

lz4005

You don't change strings to change neck relief. Basses have truss rods for that.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

^^, also,

The tension required to tune a string to pitch (same gauge) will be close.
    Often, 'Flexibility' is confused with tension and usually round-core strings feel more flexible than hex-core strings and have greater excursion while playing, same as lighter gauge strings tuned to the same pitch (w/less tension). This may require a small string height or even a minor trussrod adjustment.
  4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The hi-beams are likely to hit the frets if your action was right before. If your action was a bit too high in the first place they might be fine.

This doesn't even have to do with how the string pull on the neck, just how they swing for the same resulting frequency. Whether they pull more or less for neck bow is a different matter.
  5. musikman43155

musikman43155

Correct, but, I want to change to the lighter 45 - 105 so I'm not going to tighten the rod to accommodate the heavier strings. I've already shimmed the neck, adjusted the saddles, & tweaked the truss rod for the strings currently on the bass.

The string height is great @ the 1st & 20th fret, but slightly higher around the 7th, 8th. I think a slightly lighter gauge will make it perfect. I ultimately rather have the 45 - 105's.

I just wasn't sure if the round core strings would additionally effect the tension.
  6. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

Exactly - hex core are a bit less flexible than round core, but aren't necessarily lower tension.