Does same name matter???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thesearchbass98, Aug 13, 2013.

1. thesearchbass98

thesearchbass98

My cover/original band wants to change its name to Distant Early Warning but are wondering if it matters that there is a Rush tribute band with the same name. Should we look for another name or just no worry about it ?
  2. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

Disclosures:
    I practice a lot but still suck.
    You could open for the other band with the same name (or have them open for you). Those flyers would be awesome.
  3. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

is the other band in the same area as you? are they on itunes? If the answer is no to both of these questions, then I don't think it matters.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

If you know there is another band with the same name, pick a different name. It's a simple decision IMO.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

Personally, if I knew of any band who already had a name I was considering using, I'd try and think of something else. If you name your band then find another with the same name later, that's different.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes, look for another name.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1. It's unlikely to REALLY matter unless you find yourselves playing in the same market, but if you've already found out about the other band, just save the trouble and pick something different.
  9. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Change your name to any of the following:

Tactical Air Command
    Strategic Defense Initiative
    Goddard Space Center
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Plus, people who come out to see a band with that name would be expecting...

(wait for it)

...a Rush Tribute Band.
  11. scabpicker

scabpicker

I've got a similar problem with my current band, but we're not named after another band's song. While we aren't playing outside of the area, it isn't a problem, the other bands are all local as well. But mellowman is right, unless you're a prog rock band, you're going to disappoint some Rush fans with that name.

Here's some more cold war suggestions:

Ivy Mike
    Castle Bravo
    Trinity Test
    Daigo Fukuryū Maru
    Tsar Bomba
    Operation Argus

(and my favorite, because the idea was nuts)
    Operation Plowshare
  12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

+1

I always saw the point of naming ones band as creating a brand.

If I came up with a new laundry detergent, Id not want to call it 'Tide' as that brand already exists.

It sucks at times. I had a name for a band that I really liked 'Cain Enabler', but decided not to use it after I found a band called 'The Cain Enablers', even though they were from a different region and, seemingly, not that big a band.
  13. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

How about "Not so distant and not so early suggestion?"
  14. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bassist for The Sipps (Presskit.to/TheSipps) Supporting Member

How about "The Body Electric"? Wear Spandex
  15. fastplant

fastplant

Whenever I'm naming a band I do exhaustive research on-line to make sure no one else has that name, anywhere. Maybe it's just me, but I like to know that my band's name is unique. And that's aside from any other issues that could arise from that (which I've also run into in the past).
  16. tgriley62

tgriley62

Use the name "D.E.W line". The name of the actual Distant Early Warning radar chain that was in use
  17. INTP

INTP

I'd want the band name to be unique.

I also agree that if I saw Distant Early Warning as a band name, I'd expect it to be a Rush tribute band.
  18. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Do you cover a lot of Rush?
    Even if you do I wouldn't use a name that another band was already using, especially in the same area.
    If you do want a Rush themed name there are many others you could come up with.
    Red Sector A
    The Analog Kids
    New World Men
    Etc......
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tom's Sawyer
    Tom's Lawyer
    Working Men
    Spirits of Radio
    By-Tor and the Snow Dogs
    The Neck Romancers
    The Gary Weintraub Experience
    Helium
  20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

I'll take a slightly different tact than many here. The interweb has made it possible to check a potential band name against every other band IN THE WORLD to see if someone else is using it. If you're talking about two cover bands in vastly different markets, then I really wouldn't be to concerned about it. If any of the acts are touring, or have a large regional or national following, then I'd suggest something else.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the conflict if the other band has already taken the obvious website of Facebook page, making searching for a similar-named band difficult.
  21. fastplant

fastplant

This is my thought too. I want bandname.com not bandnamebandnortheastusamusic.com