1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does the cold give you a cold?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I just saw another news report with a doctor stating the cold doesn't give you a cold . I know the cold is a type of virus ,but I firmly believe getting too cold has something to do with it. It either temporarily weakens your immune system opening a door for invasion , or causes an inflammatory response with the result being cold like symptoms .

Hey doc , come to work with me on a ten degree day and stand outside for 10 hours with improper clothing and we'll see how you feel in the next couple days !

During part of this report the doc was saying a hat or gloves really didn't matter ....

I'll stick to whats worked for me in the past thank you.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

It makes sense to try to stay warm, but yeah... colds are caused by viruses, not temperature.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I'm not saying I believe the cold weather causes it but I refuse to completely dismiss it as factor.

4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

You are right, it is a factor:

During cold seasons people usually gather together indoors more often and in larger numbers, giving the virus a better opportunity to transmit to the next person. Hence the term "cold".

Standing outside on a 10 degree day for 10 hours with improper clothing will only give you hypothermia.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Germs thrive in warm environments. Being outside breathing the fresh air on a cold day (instead of inside a warm, crowded school, hospital, nursing home, church, etc.) is a great way to stay healthy. :)

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Virus's are not alive. They do not thrive anywhere except when their DNA is injected into a cell; at all anther times they are dormant seeds of destruction. When they speak of "live" virus, they are referring to the fact that the DNA within it is still viable. To kill dna they have to " cook" it to destroy it. Virus are like tiny genetic mechanisms not living things. They are not alive. They cannot reproduce outside a host cell. Bacteria can, bacteria are alive.

8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

I'll second the op's idea that it weakens the body opening the flood gates. all of my own anecdotal evidences points to this.

9. rodl2005

rodl2005

Yes but, why, if you DO end up getting particularly cold, wet etc, during winter, do you often end up catching a "cold" or getting sick?

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

It is my understanding that viruses remain viable longer in situations where the humidity is low. So in the winter time when the air dries out, a virus on a surface can infect a person many days longer than a virus on the same surface if it were humid.

11. Mushroo

Mushroo

^ So if someone with a cold sneezes on you, you'd prefer the sneeze be as wet as possible? :)

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Not exactly.........

13. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

This is an example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Just because one thing happens after another does not mean that the second was caused by the first. There are people who get cold and wet who do not catch a cold, and people who catch a cold without first getting cold and wet.

"Although a connection exists between the number of cases of the common cold and the fall and winter seasons, there is no experimental evidence that exposure to cold temperatures increases the chances that you will get a cold."

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/commonCold/Pages/cause.aspx

14. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Iono; every time I step outside and cold air hits my chest, my nose starts itching and I start sneezing. Maybe the cold doesn't give me "a cold," but it sure makes me feel cold-ey

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

+1 And perhaps the cold weather lowers your resistance if you don't keep comfortable, so when you are exposed to the virus from someone nearby, you can't shake it off.

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

It only really happens when your extremities go from an area of warmth, to an extended period/area of cold. Its the drastic change that does it.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

^ Yup, this.

18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

^This. I'm a preschool teacher, and over many years I've been exposed to just about every common illness known to man. I can spend all week inside with dozens of snot-nosed kids and not so much as sniffle. Yet I can go in my yard on a crisp late autumn Saturday and rake leaves, get a runny nose, start sneezing, and the next morning I've got what seems a whole lot like a cold! Perhaps cold weather somehow helps stimulate the virus?

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

You are probably experiencing an allergy to leaf mold in that situation.

20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

focusing on the wrong part there.