1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does the skill level of an artist concern you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Nov 14, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I went to a Picasso exhibition about a year ago and realized I don't like Picasso. I get what he was doing and respect him as an artist but most of his paintings don't appeal to me. I love his comtemporary Dali and I also have a painting of dogs playing poker that I really like.
    I like Tolkien, Twain and Dickens. But I also like Gresham and Edgar Rice Burrgoughs.
    I love the Maltese Falcon but I also like the Three Stooges.
    I like Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn but I also like The Ramones and Jimmy Reed.
    Yes, we could have a long discussion about the skill of some of the artists I have listed I am not an expert.
    For me I either like something or I don't sometimes the the technical prowess of an artist doesn't matter.
    What about you? Is it important?
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Not really. Its more about the end product and how I connect with it.

Like you, I enjoy artists in various mediums of differing skill levels. Sometimes I even favor the less proficient. One of my favorite painters is Jean Michel Basquiat.
  3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I usually have a minimum level of technical prowess demanded in any given medium. Once they've passed that threshold I can usually love them. Sometime that threshold shifts with age... I really still love you New York Dolls, it's me, not you.
  4. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Yeah Basquiat is awesome.

My wife does a lot of art so we're always visiting galleries and such and tend to see a lot of different artist's works.
    I've come to the conclusion that an artist's talent is not so much in their technical skills, but rather in how their works connects to you. How it makes you feel. I've seen some really skilled artists paint a bowl of fruit for instance. While I'm amazed at their ability to make it look so real, it bores me... on the other hand, I've had artists blow my mind with nothing more than a few well-placed streaks, smears and smudges.
  5. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Nope, not at all. Someone willing to put themselves out there and share their creations is impressive to me already.

-Mike
  7. MatticusMania

I agree completely. Ive seen and know a few artists who have great technical skill. But when I look at their work I fail to see anything.
    Yes, I see this female head with octopus tentacles where her neck should be, and I see that you have skill as a painter. I even like that its kind of odd. But does that make what Im looking at art? What is it that you, as the artist, are trying to express here? I can accept that perhaps Im just not catching the artists intent, but thats not always the case. The answer is nothing. This is just art for arts sake. Nice, but Im moving on.
  8. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I'd rather hear Surfin' Bird or Hanky Panky than anything by Van Halen or Yes.

I like what I like because I like it.

For pictures, I like the one in my avatar. The Turning Road, by Andre Derain.
  9. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I require a signed affidavit attesting to professionally accepted standards of accomplishment before I will even deign to look at your watercolor landscape.
  10. slobake

Ramones or Trashmen?
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman

[​IMG]

Portrait of Olga

[​IMG]

Guernica

Portrait of Olga demonstrates Picasso's skill.

Guernica demonstrates Picasso's vision.

If you don't "get" Picasso, I highly recommend, at the very least, studying up on him. He was one of the greatest and most inflential artists of the 20th Century, and his work is well worth being familiar with.

Here's the Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Picasso

It's a great place to start.
  12. slobake

I had a feeling this was going to come up. Now here is "Papa Oom Mow Mow" by the Rivingtons. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IP8g7-VPn4
  13. slobake

14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Trashmen, never heard the Ramones' version.
  15. fmoore200

fmoore200

Listening to too much hip hop?:D
  16. MatticusMania

No, why do you ask?
  17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I totally thought of this: :D

Like Unrep, I require a certain threshold of talent from artists I enjoy. For instance, I really like a lot of Hole's songs, but I can't really listen to them because Courtney Love's inability to sing in key for at least two bars drives me nuts. Malibu is an awesome slice of post-grunge pop rock songwriting; I'd love to hear it with someone who can actually hold pitch and display proper vocal technique. Likewise, I may be missing out on the supposed brilliance of Tom Waits that I always hear about, but when I listen to him, I just hear someone who couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag and would get booed off of most the stages I'm familiar with. While Bob Dylan isn't going to be winning any awards for his vocal prowess, I still understand the appeal of Dylan; I don't understand the appeal of Waits.

Also, I make a huge distinction between someone who creates challenging art that may be abrasive, repugnant to the established artistic norms, or is otherwise minimalist (I do believe that truly great art is often controversial) and does this as an application of their sheer talent and training versus someone who hides behind the pretense of art to cover up for their lack of talent and ability. For instance, John Cage wrote and performed some music that was pretty dissonant and out there for the time period, but he was able to do this because of his amazing talent and knowledge about music; on the other hand, Henry Kaiser is just some dude who really can't play guitar, but he tries to get away with playing garbage because he can call it "art." Likewise, I respect the Dadaists, because they were talented artists who created the art they did because they were making a very deep political statement - a world that would have allowed the atrocity of WWI to happen didn't deserve beautiful works - but I consider a lot of people like Tracey Emin to just be no-talent hacks who lack originality and think their lack of ability can be excused by being "edgy" and in-your-face.

...Warhol, however, is someone I've very ambivalent about. :meh:
  18. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

I think it's more about the way art speaks to you when you view it. I like a wide variety of artists across different styles. Some of my favorites:

Descent into the Hell of the Damned - Peter Paul Rubens (Alte Pinakothek, Munich, Germany)
    The Battle of Alexander at Issus - Albrecht Altdorfer (Alte Pinakothek, Munich, Germany)
    Sadak in Search of the Waters of Oblivion - John Martin (Saint Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, MO)
    Danaë - Artemisia Gentileschi (Saint Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, MO)
  19. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I always liked how once you get so good, you can be bad but it is still good. Free jazz yeah!
  20. slobake

I'm not a big Warhol fan either. For me it is kind of meh. On the other hand I really like Jackson Pollock. Different era and different styles I get that. Don't misunderstand I am not supporting ignorance. I love learning about artists and what they create. There are masterpieces that will some of us will like and some won't. There are also times to just let it all go and enjoy yourself.