1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

does this bother anybody else?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by remainthesame, Nov 22, 2013.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

Before I start off, I'm NOT a virtuoso by any means. I am NOT an expert on everything music related. I am NOT a know it all.

But I can't tell you how many times somebody has told me they use a drop tuning when they are using a standard tuning. Ill get an audition, and Ill be given a few songs to learn. when I ask for the tuning they say "drop C" (just for example) so ill tune my bass to drop C and learn the songs. Then I show up to the audition and everything is completely off because they are actually in C standard.

Again, I'm not an expert. And I know that people make mistakes. But this is becoming such a regular thing that I had to make a post about it. does anybody else go though this? How do you usually handle it?
  2. DrSteve

DrSteve

I don't drop anything. I play in the recorded key or the one we need to change to for the frontman. Guitar player drop tunes all over the place, so much so that we have to arrange sets around his changing guitars for a drop tune. Crazy.
  3. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

For the vast majority of songs I don't see the need for any drop tuning, I find it easier to transpose to the needed key.
  4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

/\ /\ /\ This.
  5. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

That's one of the beauties of having a five string. I had this one guy in a stoner/doom project scratching his head as to why I wouldn't tune to drop D flat like he and the other guitarist were tuned. My response was that I didn't have to.

EDITED FOR CLARITY: The guitarists in question were tuned to E flat standard, but with their sixth strings in D flat, so it was technically a "drop tuning".
  6. groooooove

groooooove

i love how in drop tuning, you become a transposing instrument..

but the people who do it (in my experience, literally) never give a straight answer when you ask what key they're in or what chord that is or what is top note of that chord or whatever else

if your going to do it, be able to understand what your concert pitch is!
  7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Yep! go 5 string if you're getting a bunch of the Drop tuning gigs. I'm lucky to get by with a 4 string now but played 5 string for 5 years straight. My guitarist had 5 guitars on stage all tuned differently and he used them all. He was able to watch my left hand and get in the right key every time. He had little notes on the set list as to which guitar to use for each song. In some ways he was the best guitarist I ever played with.
  8. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

^^This^^

I play bass. In the genres that I play, I play notes; not chords. I have yet to find a need to change my tuning to anything other than standard. With 5 strings, 24 frets, and 12 notes to chose from--if I can't find the right note to play, it doesn't exist.
  9. skwee

skwee

There's only one 'dropped' tuning I'd ever consider, and that is to drop my E string down to a D for an occasional song. Otherwise, I play the agreed-upon key in standard tuning.
  10. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I drop tune to D for two songs in one of the bands I play in. It's a 4 string P, so it just sounds better detuned. I used to detune my DB on the spot for those two songs, but that got tiring so I just double with the P Bass now.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes, it drives me nuts too. I can't tell you how many times someone has come onto this very site asking about Drop this or Drop that, only to find out that they're not talking about a Drop tuning at all.

They seem to think that since they are "dropping" their tuning (down tuning) it's a Drop tuning.
  12. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I am far too lazy to deal with drop tunings and screwing up the symmetry of my bass, as in being able to play the same pattern the exact same way anywhere on the neck. I do play in D standard though, something I picked up in my last band with my 4 string and carried over to my 6. I just like the feeling of the lower tension mostly.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I do mostly originals so I won't drop tune. I also won't change key just because the front man can't sing it. My philosophy is either do it in the original key so people hear the song the way they are used to hearing it or don't play it at all.
  14. basslifter

basslifter

I had a hipshot d tuner on my 4 string which worked very well. I play predominantly a 5 string now and stay in standard. I have all the notes I need. Although, certain fingerings are easier when downtuned 1/2 step, for example.
  15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I was in an originals group where one of the guitarists kept his instrument in drop-D. Shockingly, EVERY song idea he had turned out to be in the key of D...
  16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

so if you want to play in F# you'll have to retune his guitar and he will play the same thing just in another key ...
  17. Tupac

Tupac

That doesn't always work, and usually sounds a lot worse.
  18. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

As long as you learned how to play the song correctly, why would it throw anything off if you are in drop C and they are in C standard?
  19. remainthesame

remainthesame

it throws me off because IMO a musician should know what tuning they are in, its a very basic and fundamental thing. if you have progressed to the point where youre rocking a peavey 5150, you should know what tuning you are in.

if this was just some kid at guitar center i would have just shrugged it off. but this happens to me quite often in a world of "serious" musicians
  20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Yeah I don,t get it too ... if the OP did learn the song and you play the right thing at the right time ... does-it really matter in which tuning you're in ?

I could do a cover of Fade To Black by Metallica and tune my bass AEBF#C# and play it correctly exacly like the recording but my tuning may turn thing way more difficult that it should be but still I can play it anyway ...

also many so called pro don,t what they are doing anyway