1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does this EBMM bass exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by No Coast Rider, Feb 26, 2014.

1. No Coast Rider

No Coast Rider

I've been playing a lot of Stingrays llately at the shops and decided what I want, I just don't know if it exists. I like the 2 band EQ and bridge with the built in mutes on the Classic Ray, but I prefer the unfinished necks and contoured bodies of the standard Rays. To top it off I'd prefer the neck width of a Sterling/SLO Special. Is there anyway for me to obtain a bass like this?

I could suck it up and deal with the slab body on a classic, but I HATE the gloss finish on the neck, unplayable IMO, especially next to the oil finished necks.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Is there a way? Sure. From EBMM? Nope.
    The easiest route I can see you getting what you want is a Stingray SLO, and buy a bridge w/ mutes and the 2 band EQ somewhere, somehow (good luck on either, let alone both).

If the major issue is just the finished neck, then you could always have that gloss taken off.

Either way, you ruin the resell of it. But you'd have more or less what you want.
  3. TBassEurope

TBassEurope

The earliest Classic Rays had an unfinished neck, laquered & figured necks were available as an upgrade before getting standard in the classic series some weeks later. There is one for sale in Germany, have a look at geba-online.de
    But I would suggest getting a SLO Special with a 2-Band-EQ. So you'll be missing the mutes only. It is a lot faster putting a peace of foam under the strings beneath the bridge than adjusting all the 4 or 5 screws of the muting pads.
  4. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

I'm in a similar position. I decided on building a Warmoth P bass and making it into as much of a Stingray as possible, but I slapped on a Tele neck.
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

If you can find a 93-95 Ray with 2eq, you can have the unfinished neck and mute bridge.
    The only thing you cannot have is the 1.5" neck as that's a relatively new feature for EBMM.
  6. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

+1 this is your best route. You can order an SLO neck Ray with 2 band EQ in whatever colour you like with whatever fretboard wood you wish (from maple, rosewood or pau ferro fretless) - you will not get the strings through/mute bridge though. You can buy an aftermarket mute kit called just a mute which are meant to be good, or just put foam rubber between the strings and body.
  7. bickele

bickele