Does this EQ support active pups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by webgringo, Feb 9, 2014.

1. webgringo

webgringo

So, have a RBA04P active EQ in my ibanez. Would be something similar to duncans BEQ-2 what i found. Will this setup support me switching from passive to active pups, or i need to modify something then ?
  2. line6man

line6man

If you had passive pickups, then switching to active only means that the output impedance driving the input will be lower than it was before, and this is a good thing. The only exception to this would be if you had a preamp that was designed to interact in some way with the impedance of a coil, in order to achieve a certain tonality. This is rather rare. That aside, the only issue with having an input impedance that is too high, relative to the load that drives it, is that you can end up with more noise. That's not an issue here, however.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Usually (barring any issues that 'line6man' mentioned) the 250k to 500k vol and/or bal pots that were used with the passive pickups, will need to be replaced with 25k to 50k pots- this is if the pots are located between the pickups and the preamp. If after the preamp, you should be able to use the current ones. Plus, the pickups should be powered by the same source as the preamp.
    If it's the same preamp as in the attachment, just use a 25k- 50k bal pot.

Attached Files: