Does this ever stop?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by steve42, Feb 13, 2014.

1. steve42

steve42

If I ever have the opportunity to meet Nathan East or one of my other bass heroes, I swear I'm going to ask if they have hinally reached the point where this doesn't happen.

[​IMG]

2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Asking to "turn it down" is insulting to me.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Why ? If you're too loud, you're too loud.....

4. obsidianbass

obsidianbass

I think it's because the insinuation is that bass should be felt and not heard, or some such nonsense. Personally, I like to hear my bass (within reason and without sacrificing a good live mix). Both are possible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joedog

Joedog

If it's the guy paying you, you have to be an idiot to "be insulted". Besides a lot of bands don't get a good stage mix, and don't realize what it actually sounds like out in the room.

7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

I was being facetious. My band always does a sound check before taking the stage. But like clockwork, it always seems that I have to crank it up notch to be above the drummer. By the end of the 1st set my ears are ringing. I don't like to be outrageously loud but I do want the bass to be felt and heard. I can't understand turning it down when you have a full house with people dancing. My guitard player actually keeps telling me to tun it up. We don't play for money as we do charities for organizations with very large ballrooms or outside venues like country clubs. I invested some bucks over the years to get to the rig I have now so if they want mild music with a volume control, get a DJ.

8. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

bass should be heard and felt without killing the mix

9. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

It stops when you turn it down.

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I suggest grabbing something earplugs - get some hi-fidelity ear plugs that allow you to hear everything around you. By time the ringing in your ears goes away, part of your hearing will already be lost....

11. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I've been told to turn up almost as much as I've been told to turn down. There's been several times that after wandering out into the audience , I've turned myself down. It's a band and it needs to blend. If turning up or turning down helps that out , I'm OK with either one. I find the most important thing is every instrument being heard clearly , not necessarily how loud they are. If the singers good , they should be heard over everything else in the band. If they are not so good , do everyone a favor and bring them down a bit.

12. CultofJay

CultofJay

I was told I was too loud on just one song at our show Saturday. I never play with a pick but was told during rehearsal that it sounded "cleaner" for this song. Soooo yeeeaaahhh....

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

This.

I want my whole band to sound good. Getting a good mix is crucial for that. If someone with trusted ears tells me I'm too loud I turn down.

14. RnBass

RnBass

After I began recording every time we played, I started to lower my volume to better fit in the mix.
    When I did everyone in the band told me to turn it up...:confused:
    If you have a wireless, take a walk into the audience for an eye (ear) opening experience.
    Bassists also have a greater challenge of hearing themselves accurately in different rooms and in different places in a room than do other instruments:
    http://realtraps.com/art_waves.htm

It seems as if our rehearsal spaces sound different from week to week based on minor changes in equipment location.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Fixed :D