1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Salamenster, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

Hey, folks

I play in a jazz/funk band and need to switch between classical jazz and hi fi slap a lot every gig.

For the classic jazz/old school funk parts I use my P-bass with flats, run trough my completely flat amp (p3110 + p210kc) and DI to the P.A. if necessary.

For the hi fi/slap parts I like to use my jazz bass with roto's, through the same amp.

Thing is, the Jazz has a tad less volume output than the P and I like some EQ'ing (treble boost)/compression on the jazz bass ONLY and I'd also like to effortlessly switch between the P and the J.

So my question, I'm looking for a pedal that does this:

- A/B with the flick of a switch.
    - A (true) bypassable preamp/EQ with capability to boost the gain a bit (so the P/J are on the same level volumewise).
    - A compressor (not necessary).

Does this exist?

I've looked at the sansamp stuff, but they don't seem to have A/B'ing.
  2. Itzayana

Itzayana

Why not use a two channel amp? Or one with A/B masters?
  3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Get a normal A-B switch,

turn the gain up and down at the amp as needed.

I'm tired now--- got to go rest my brain.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

5. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

6. Swift713

Swift713

Radial bassbone, EBS micro bass, RMI Basswitch, I know there's more I'm forgetting....
  7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Seems to me that it would be easier to use a basic A/B switch, and simply stick whatever tone-shaping pedal(s) you want in the chain with the J bass only. That way all you need to do is hit the A/B switch and you're good.

Even if you find an all-in-one, you'll probably need to adjust the volume/EQ/etc. every time you switch, unless it has wholly separate settings for each "channel."
  8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Treble boost compression sounds like earthquaker devices the warden comp,
  9. Salamenster

Salamenster

That's the thing, I don't want to touch my amp mid-gig.
  10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

yeah, i missed the part about eq/pre when i suggested the ls2. still a great pedal, but for your needs, i would just suggest a generic a/b pedal and then either a bass eq or a preamp you dig, based on what info was provided.
  11. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Markbass Super Booster I am sure will do the trick! You have a boost on one side and a 2 knob eq on the other, especially well for getting a slap tone. I would even consider the Markbass Mini Boost.
    Other than that I have heard great stuff about Radal Bassbone and the EBS Microbass.
    You could actually even just get a compressor with an output gain and run it on bypass with the P bass. But that wouldn't solve your need of treble boost (of I may, I hear a much more clarity of highs when I use my Empress Compressor, maybe that can relate to you wanting more treble on your EQ?). I would try it out!
  12. Salamenster

Salamenster

I like the Radial Tonebone Bassbone. But I'd really like it if one of the channels was true bypass.

I like the idea of getting a normal A/B-switch and putting a EQ-pedal in the Jazz-chain only too.
  13. Salamenster

Salamenster

I'll look into that one, thanks. :hyper:
  14. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

what is your budget? to simplify, you need channel switching (or a/b), a eq or preamp and compression? i'll just go ahead and throw it out there........compression=ovnilab.com
  15. Salamenster

Salamenster

How does a Boss AB-2 and a Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter/Enhancer sound? Enhancer is basically a bass- and treble boost (so a mid cut) and it says it's 'made for slap'.

That combo would cost about €130,- excluding an extra cable. Lies right within my budget.
  16. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i just picked up the lmb3, haven't had enough time with it, but found the ovnilab review quite helpful. tip, the enhance knob should be labeled "noise". keep it turned down.

it seems like the ab2 could be had in a smaller footprint, but i could be wrong because i can't think of one off the top of my head and that may not even be a concern to you at the moment.
  17. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i would think (again, i don't know your budget) you could find a boss bass eq used. i did for about $40, iirc.
  18. john m

john m Supporting Member

No matter what the band or my rig sounds like.

I knew a guy who wouldn't touch the eq on his powered mixer because the guy "set it in the store" when he bought it.
  19. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

ha! that's funny. i think this guy just doesn't want to fiddle mid set, just wants to get it with one step.
  20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

True bypass is overrated. You more than likely wouldn't notice a pedal with a high quality buffer sitting in your chain.

I would think that Radial would advertise the Bassbone as TB if it were. They make a very high quality product so I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

This is probably the route I would choose, especially if you wanted a compressor or anything else that the Bassbone doesn't have in the chain. Of course, you could also just add the compressor to the chain feeding the Bassbone for the J bass and that would basically give you every one of your requirements.