does this look legit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomboom4200, Apr 6, 2014.

1. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

2. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

I am trying to contact the seller for some more detailed pics,what else can I do,if they are legit they have nothing to hide and will not have a problem assureing me??
  3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

It WAS legitimate ... but not as described, since they called it a Standard Fender Jazz bass .. it was an early edition Hwy 1 (number) Jazz, that sold where it should have ... about $450-$475+ ... if not familiar with what these are, they are NOT the same as Hwy One basses from mid 2006-2011 ... thin acrylic finishes, headstock adjust truss rod necks same as MIM Standard/Deluxes only with Made in USA on headstock, MIM Standard tuning machines, same pups as MIM Classic Series J's, threaded saddle bent plate vintage bridges, etc ...
  4. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

no,its me whos locked in to buy it,oops,not worried,can get out of that if I need to,so crap,???,love you guys,,so it is NOT a fender standard jazz??,that's how im getting out of this thing...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You got a nice bass I would keep it.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

When you say Fender 'Standard' you are in essence describing a MIM Standard ... I think you are thinking this is an American Standard? .. if so, that is not the case, missing AmStand/Series tuning machines, graphite support rods in heel adjust neck, AmStand bridge and AmStand pups ...

... just a side note, there was not really an American Standard even offered in 2003, Fender had dropped the name 'Standard' a few years earlier, and simply called it the American Series for about 7 years in that time frame ...
  8. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

zoom the neck on the second photo,clearly says made in usa,,awesome knowledge on this stuff,this is why I love talk bass,and nah,im not keeping it,I can get a mexi made jazz way cheaper,the photo ,and the Z3XXXXXX serial # really almost had me,thanks for the heads up,I got no prob spending a little more on a real American standard jazz,if it seems to good to be true ,well.....this is an 18th birthday present for my only daughter,so this bass needs to be at least a REAL American standard jazz,no hwy 1,or knock off,or shady crap,you saved me $ so thank you,and,this bass will prolly be relisted in a day or so cause im out
  9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

:rollno:
  10. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

just an update,the guy got right back to me apologizeing profusely,"I didn't know it was a hyway one"and says he relisted it with proper info,thanks for all your help guys,woulda paid 500 for a bass that costs close to that new
  11. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

You realize a Hwy 1 is a step above a MIM Standard? Satin nitro finish, rolled frets, higher $$ value? And Hwy 1s are made in the USA like the headstock says. They were replaced by "Hwy One" series in '06, also made in USA, but with a few upgrades like graphite rods in the neck. Anyways, you wouldn't have gotten a bad deal for the price you won ebay listing for.
  12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... the early Hwy 1's had an acrylic lacquer finish... nitro was introduced on the 'upgraded' Hwy One mid '06 ... ;)
  13. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1 to nothing shady or 'knock-off' about a Hwy 1 - decent, USA made bass
  14. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

Interesting you brought that up because I think this is a little known fact around here.. Fender used both nitro and acrylic, all the way back to the '50s! And they've become kinda synomomous in the vintage car/guitar world because the car companies used both back then... and Fender used the same paint the car companies were using. In fact, about 1/2 of the original custom colors Fender offered in the 1960s were acrylic. However, the clear coat was always nitro (although some guitars never got a clear). So it seems, normally people don't make the distinction (except apparently Fender does on their spec sheets). I you feel like reading more, this article HERE goes into depth on the original Fender custom colors. But here's an excerpt..

"Here are all the custom colors, their original paint type (remember, Duco is nitrocellulose, Lucite is acrylic), the years Fender used them, and what cars they originated. The "Car Year" column represents the years this color was available for the Car Make listed. Note some colors were also used on other makes within the same manufacturer, but with different names and for different years. These colors will have the same paint number, but a different paint name. See the individual color descriptions for a list of these paint names. Also note all metallic colors, except Candy Apple Red, are single-step metallic colors. That is, the actual color and the metallic particles are contained together in a single paint. This minimizes the application steps."

Fender's Original Custom Colors [1960s]

Lake Placid Blue metallic Lucite Cadillac
    Daphne Blue Duco Cadillac
    Shoreline Gold metallic Lucite Pontiac
    Olympic White Lucite Cadillac
    Burgundy Mist metallic Lucite Oldsmobile
    Inca Silver metallic Lucite Chevy Corvette
    Fiesta Red Duco Ford Tbird
    Dakota Red Duco Cadillac
    Blue Ice metallic Lucite Ford
    Firemist Silver metallic Lucite Cadillac
    Firemist Gold metallic Lucite Cadillac
    Charcoal Frost metallic Lucite Lincoln
    Ocean Turquoise metallic Lucite Mercury
    Teal Green metallic Lucite Lincoln
    Black Duco all makes
    Sonic Blue Duco Cadillac
    Shell Pink Duco Desoto
    Foam Green Duco Buick
    Surf Green Duco Chevy
    Sherwood Green metallic Duco Mercury
    Candy Apple Red n/a n/a

(this was all on a table/chart so I didn't copy and paste all the info like the years used, codes, etc..)
  15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You absolutely made the right decision. Spend a couple more bucks for a better quality, more desirable instrument. I'm sure the Highway 1 model has a lot of good aspects, but in the end it's still the bottom of the USA-built line.