Does this look off center?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheCatalyst, Nov 22, 2012.

1. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Hello all,

I'm not usually one to start a new thread but I'm in need of some opinions. I have been working on this bass for the past few months and just recently mated the wings to the neck. I like the body style but when I look at it, it looks as if the neck is way off center because of the lower wings shape. Does anyone agree and do you think it should be corrected or am I just over analyzing it?

ForumRunner_20121122_134159.png

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Vaughn

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Does it look a bit lopsided? Yes

Does it have to be corrected? Entirely up top you. If you like it, let it be. If you don't like it now is the time to do changes. :)

You could cut the larger wing a bit smaller. If you imagine the same shape pivoted on the treble side horn you could simply "push" the shape in a bit.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but there seems to be a small "bulge" in the arch going from the center of the body and around the treble side wing that looks a bit odd. It could very well be the picture playing tricks on me, though.

3. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Thanks for the input. I know what you mean about cutting the larger wing but then I feel that it would look too small. I know its all about preference but from an outside perspective, would you take off any? And I think the bulge is just the picture. I couldn't see it when I looked just now

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Is it off center but if you like and its playable there is no reason to change it. There is no rule that basses must be symmetrical.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

To begin I have to say it's a great, beautiful shape. It does look a bit lopsided, by it can be "easily corrected" by pushing the treble side belly in.

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

+1 I wouldn't touch it if I were you, it looks great like this.:D

8. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Thanks everyone. I think I might leave it how it is. You don't usually see an instrument off centered so much but the look is starting to grow on me.

It really helps to get opinions from other builders and players since I don't know any personally so thank you the input is greatly appreciated

9. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

It's definitely off-center. But (as others have already stated) there's nothing wrong with that. Ever stared at a Rickenbacker 4001/4003? :)

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

If you do do something to alter it, you might consider making it so that the bass side upper "horn" curve no longer sticks further out from the center line than the bass side lower "butt" curve.

11. Herrlster

Herrlster

+1

12. suraj

suraj

I feel you will have some difficulty reaching the last few frets with the treble horn shaped like that.. The asymmetry is not very evident in the playing position, which is good. But in the upright position, if it were on a guitar stand, it is quite noticeable.. My 2 rupees :p

13. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Well, thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I think its goin to stay as is. It may look different but I'm starting to like it that way.

Since the scale is 35'' and the neck is already so long I don't want to push the fretboard any more out from the body any more than it already is.I made the lower horn a little thinner on the edge to accommodate the frets so they can be reached.

On a side note... :) does anyone know where I can find a 26 inch scale template for the guitar I'm building for the low price of 0$.00?

Thanks

14. abarson

abarson

I've seen some Japanese basses that the lower wing was definitely larger than the top. Some of them look cool, some just odd. I don't think yours looks problematic. Maybe wipe it down, and lay it against a background with better color contrast would help highlight the shape a bit, and then make your decision.

For the guitar, use FretFind2D, print out your own template.
    http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

15. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Thanks for the link. I've decided to leave the bass as is. I think it looks prety good now that its almost finished. I have to put a few more coats on but what do you think? I need some critiques

Attached Files:

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Now that I see it it better contrast it looks much better. The huge upper horn helps to balance it a bit.

Looking at the overall shape with the headstock and all I absolutely love it! It's unusual, but good. :)

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" -Francis Bacon

:smug:

17. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Thankyou sir. I apreciated the critique. I almost have it finished so ill post a few more pics when I get it all set up next week

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

The most important thing (IMHO) is: How does it feel, both on the lap, and on the strap?

I like to install the bridge and strap pins, string it up, and play it - even before the electronics are installed or the finish is applied - just to make sure it feels as good as possible before I complete an instrument; it's not at all uncommon for me to modify the body contours at this stage of the game.

If it feels good and plays well, you're good to go! :D

19. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I dig it! The fun of this Bass is that its not symetrical.

20. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Thanks guys, I've had it all together for a while and I feels really nice with the strap. Its also pretty light as compared to the other body styles I have come up with. The body is only 1.25 inches thick though. The only thing I don't like is the lower horn being a little hostile in the seated position. Everyone who has played it likes it a lot though. I revised the design again to make it a bit more comfortable. Ill post a picture of the new rendering when I get back home.

21. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    [​IMG]
    Well, thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I think its goin to stay as is. It may look different but I'm starting to like it that way.

you're in good company