Does this mean that it is time to buy a compression pedal? Help needed!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jfh2424, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jfh2424

jfh2424

Hello fellow TBers! I’ve found that the notes on the G string of my bass are almost inaudible when I play rock or blues stuff with the band. They sound fine when I am playing at home alone. With the band, however, I can get the same notes higher on my D or A strings, they ring out fine, but not on the G string. I imagine that I am having a hard time hearing these notes because of the mass of the G string that is lower than the mass of the D or A strings.

This is getting really annoying. I guess one way to do deal with this is to play up the E string and basically only play on the E, A and D string. But that seems kinda of stupid.

Would buying a higher mass G string also help? My strings right now are Fender® USA Bass 7250ML, NPS, (.045-.100 Gauges)

Would some kind of compression help in something like this? How would the pedal recognize that the high C needs to be boosted on the G string but not the A or D string?

Any comments would be really appreciated!

John
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Sounds inline with a pickup spacing/string height issue. What is your bass? Could you post a pic so we can see your setup?
  3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

A pickup hieght adjustment can sometimes fix this.
  4. jfh2424

jfh2424

Hello! The bass in question is Roadworn Fender Precision. However, I have had this problem on my 8 other basses too.

The RW has a pro setup. I think the setup is really good.

This problem doesn't exist when I play it outside the band because the G string notes don't compete with frequencies from electric guitarists. But in the band, they do.

If the high C on the G string can't get through but the high C on the D string can, it must be the G string that is the problem, not the note. The question I have is whether this has something to do specifically with the mass of the G string that is different than the D string or whether it is something else.

In a live rock setting, do you guys find that your G string notes ring out as much as those on the other strings?

Thanks!

John
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KellyM

KellyM

Wow, this is hard to answer without knowing a bit more, but it sounds as if this is a consistent problem with nearly all your basses. If this is indeed the case, my first suspect would be amplification, second would be technique. Or it could be neither. I might be able to pinpoint the problem if you provide more information.
  7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

If it is just in a band setting, it would point more toward EQing and volumes for you and every instrument involved. Maybe compression could help, hard to tell without knowing what has been tried vis-à-vis EQing everyone involved.

I see you are in Montreal. If you have any doubt about setup or strings, just bring it to MF.
  8. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

MF ?
  9. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

http://www.mf.qc.ca

One of the best luthiers in MTL in my very humble opinion.
  10. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Merci!

I'm taking my bass and my son's guit there Saturday !
  11. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Im a bit of a compression champion, BUT NEVER TO 'SOLVE' ISSUES. because that's what compression is bad at .. solving problems.

Sounds like an eq/amp issue. At practice (not alone in bedroom) set your amp/eq flat and re-evaluate. Do you use Light gauge strings and/or a 35'' bass? ThIs can also wimpyfy a g string
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Sounds like P bass dead spots to me. It's a pretty well known issue with decent info in the basses forum.