1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does this Precision / Jazz hybrid exist in production?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by revlimitbounce, Dec 3, 2013.

1. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Supporting Member

Fellow funkmeisters:

Has there ever been a Fender along these lines (and not the Aerodyne-type stuff, which always seemed toy-like to me):

Jazz Bass neck; maple board with pearl blocks & binding
    Precision body
    P/J pickup combo
    passive electronics

Been looking at P specials and G&L SB-2s, but

Thx!
  2. bh2

bh2

I'll bet Fender japan has a couple.
  3. Mr-Wunderful

Mr-Wunderful

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L would build you one like that.
  5. 1960jbass

1960jbass

6. revlimitbounce

Thx, Mr Wunder & Chef. Was hoping to find an off-the-shelf solution as I don't want to spend a lot on this one.
  7. revlimitbounce

8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

you can always get stickers to cover the black blocks :) there are all sorts of faux-ny inlay stickers out there for guys who want to dress up a bass a bit on the cheap.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman

I got some of those sticker blocks, and they stayed on the bass about a week, and then I just couldn't look at them anymore.
  10. P Town

P Town Guest

I could make one by swapping the necks on my (newer) Fender American Deluxe P, and J, basses, (and placing the active/passive switch in the passive setting). It would still have black blocks though.
  11. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

Here ya go...
    P body, Maple J neck, P/J pups, neck is bound and blocked but in black, instead of pearl.

Fender MIM, off the shelf.

[​IMG]
  12. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

13. Down_Low

Down_Low

Do what I did - build a parts Fender. That way you'll get exactly what you want.

This is a nitro MIA '57 RI body, and a MIA Standard Jazz neck, both from The Stratosphere. Routes the body for a j, loaded it up with some Fralins, and now have an amazing sounding and playing bass that's exactly what I wanted!

[​IMG]
  14. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

15. revlimitbounce

Yeah, saw that; know about the McKagan model. Not for me.

This is the closest I've seen so far, but not the right neck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171187684967?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I also noticed the G&L (GandL) SB-2 Tributes, but no tone control and some wavy neck stories keep me at bay on those.

If I could mix & match, the Squier VM 77 Jazz neck with a simple P bass body routed for a P&J and my own LQ Badass III would be perfect.

Anyone remember T-Bone Wolk? Great musician and often used a modded P with a J.
    [​IMG]
  16. frozenbolt

frozenbolt

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking of doing with one of these:
    [​IMG]

And one of these:
    [​IMG]

Because, for some reason, Fender stopped just short of offering a maple neck with the Navy Blue Metallic.

Also want to swap out the pickguard for either a silver or white pearloid pickguard.

I think that would look awesome.

OP might want to think about that...

Rock on,
    'Bolt
  17. WJGreer

WJGreer

I think the blocks & bindings are going to send you to a price point where you don't want to be if you buy a complete bass.

Finding a Fender with a P body and an extra J pickup, you could probably do a number of ways - an American Deluxe or something cheap like an Affinity.

Then maybe do a Warmoth neck to your liking? It wouldn't be all Fender then, but on the other hand you could get away with a Squier body and not have it say Squier on the neck. ;)
  18. vdub75

vdub75

get a p/J in your colour and replace the neck! IF you get a fender neck or warmoth/allparts there will be no quality issues and you can sell the o/g fender neck for nearly what you paid for the new one
  19. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

personally, i'd go for the white pearloid. i think it would look pretty classy with that navy blue metallic and all maple neck.