1. Welcome to the premier online bass player community and classifieds!

Register a free account to remove in-screen ads.

Does this Precision / Jazz hybrid exist in production?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by revlimitbounce, Dec 3, 2013.

1. revlimitbounce

Jul 26, 2007
    Fellow funkmeisters:

Has there ever been a Fender along these lines (and not the Aerodyne-type stuff, which always seemed toy-like to me):

Jazz Bass neck; maple board with pearl blocks & binding
    Precision body
    P/J pickup combo
    passive electronics

Been looking at P specials and G&L SB-2s, but

2. bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I'll bet Fender japan has a couple.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L would build you one like that.
  4. Sponsored by:

5. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Appleton, WI
  6. revlimitbounce

Jul 26, 2007
    Thx, Mr Wunder & Chef. Was hoping to find an off-the-shelf solution as I don't want to spend a lot on this one.
  7. revlimitbounce

Jul 26, 2007
  8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    you can always get stickers to cover the black blocks :) there are all sorts of faux-ny inlay stickers out there for guys who want to dress up a bass a bit on the cheap.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    I got some of those sticker blocks, and they stayed on the bass about a week, and then I just couldn't look at them anymore.
  10. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I could make one by swapping the necks on my (newer) Fender American Deluxe P, and J, basses, (and placing the active/passive switch in the passive setting). It would still have black blocks though.
  11. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    Here ya go...
    P body, Maple J neck, P/J pups, neck is bound and blocked but in black, instead of pearl.

Fender MIM, off the shelf.

12. dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
  13. Do what I did - build a parts Fender. That way you'll get exactly what you want.

This is a nitro MIA '57 RI body, and a MIA Standard Jazz neck, both from The Stratosphere. Routes the body for a j, loaded it up with some Fralins, and now have an amazing sounding and playing bass that's exactly what I wanted!

14. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
  15. revlimitbounce

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah, saw that; know about the McKagan model. Not for me.

This is the closest I've seen so far, but not the right neck.

I also noticed the G&L (GandL) SB-2 Tributes, but no tone control and some wavy neck stories keep me at bay on those.

If I could mix & match, the Squier VM 77 Jazz neck with a simple P bass body routed for a P&J and my own LQ Badass III would be perfect.

Anyone remember T-Bone Wolk? Great musician and often used a modded P with a J.
  16. frozenbolt

Jan 28, 2013
    LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking of doing with one of these:

And one of these:

Because, for some reason, Fender stopped just short of offering a maple neck with the Navy Blue Metallic.

Also want to swap out the pickguard for either a silver or white pearloid pickguard.

I think that would look awesome.

OP might want to think about that...

Rock on,
  17. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think the blocks & bindings are going to send you to a price point where you don't want to be if you buy a complete bass.

Finding a Fender with a P body and an extra J pickup, you could probably do a number of ways - an American Deluxe or something cheap like an Affinity.

Then maybe do a Warmoth neck to your liking? It wouldn't be all Fender then, but on the other hand you could get away with a Squier body and not have it say Squier on the neck. ;)
  18. vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    get a p/J in your colour and replace the neck! IF you get a fender neck or warmoth/allparts there will be no quality issues and you can sell the o/g fender neck for nearly what you paid for the new one
  19. dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    personally, i'd go for the white pearloid. i think it would look pretty classy with that navy blue metallic and all maple neck.