Does this seem like a good idea for a lone wolf?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Feb 27, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

After going through the trouble many times to try and form original bands I have gotten into making my own music the last few months. I am thinking the way to do it is have an albums worth of material so 8-10 songs maybe and since it's also really hard to find just a drummer to find a studio session drummer.

I realize I don't have to record in a studio(especially since I have a 6 track and I'm a minimalist), but the reason I am thinking of doing that instead is for the experience. I've recorded a lot of stuff, just never in a real studio and I think it would be a great experience. But I am also weary of having a studio player for original songs if they have never heard them before.

This all wont be happening next week or anything, but hopefully within a few months. Looking for advice. Thanks!
  2. ZenG

ZenG

It is a great experience......but be prepared for lots of work and moments you could tear your hair out.

That's all I've ever done.......the times I've played in a band I could count on one hand.

I thoroughly enjoy it.......because I have total creative control over the entire work.

It feels good when you create a work from the ground up and finish with a product that was totally the way you want it.

I can do this because it was never my main source of income...........if it was I might be living under a bridge somewhere these days........:eyebrow:

But I like what I create..........

Actually....looking back...a session drummer might have made it a whole lot easier........drum tracks were the one area I had to labor over again and again.....
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Recording is a blast. I have a modest studio in my house.
    Total freedom to do what you want when you want.
    Anything goes. You are only limited by your imagination and musical abilities.
    You don't even need to hire a drummer. There's lots of drum software available to create your own drum tracks. You can do everything yourself in the comfort of your own home.
    GO FOR IT!
    You can find much personal satisfaction in recording your own music. It can be more rewarding than being in a band.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I recorded using drum machines for years. Whenever I wanted to bring in a session drummer, I had something for him to listen to. I had one guy who said, "I really don't know what you want on here." I said, "can you base it on the drum machine, but 'humanize' it?"

He called me up the next day, all excited. He had been jamming on it, and suddenly, he felt like it was something Peter Gabriel would have on one of his songs, and he played me a HIGHLY improved version of what I had programmed on the drum machine. What he ended up laying down had movement, and subtlety, and all the things a great drummer would play, but at its core was my original vision of the drums!

That was exciting to me, and lets you know just how great things can go when they go great.

They don't always go like that, of course, but it's good to explore your own vision for awhile, and then remember you may have to loosen your grip on it when someone with more expertise on an instrument comes along.
  5. Register to disable this ad