1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does this sound like a good rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gasmaskboi19371, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Gasmaskboi19371

Gasmaskboi19371

Okay, so a rig I'm thinking of saving up for is:
    Gallien Krueger 1001Rb head (£631 - $1050)
    Fender Rumble 410 cab (£255 - $424)

The Gallien Krueger 1001rb head is 700 watts. Apparently, the Fender Rumble 410 is 1000 watts at 4 ohms?

An (cheaper) alternative rig I was thinking of:

Hartke LH500 head (£350 - $582)
    Peavey 115TVX... 800w at 8 Ohm... (£195 - $325)

I play for a metalcore band, so I was trying to go more for a 115 cab for that great low-end sound.

Sorry, I'm new to cabs :meh:
    I still don't get 4ohm and 8ohm that much. I presume you can't plug a head into an 8ohm cab? You need another cab to do so?

Thanks.

2. Gasmaskboi19371

Gasmaskboi19371

I forgot to mention, I'm using an Ibanez GSR-205 at the moment, I was thinking of getting a Jackson JS3V 5 string for a backup (it's £286 - $476). Pretty cheap for a 5 string. :p

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Here's a thread from this forum's stickies section you should read:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/amps-faq-info-ohms-allsize-rigs-overunderpowercabs-diy-techtalk-links-166225/

Some basics:
    Speaker diameter has nothing to do with depth of tone.
    Heads have _minimum_ impedance (ohm) ratings. Cabs are what they are - and you can combine them in various ways that may or may not be advantageous.

You can plug _1_ or _2_ 8-Ohm cabs into a head with a minimum impedance rating of 4 Ohms (pretty typical).

You can plug _1_ 4-Ohm cab into a minimum 4-Ohm head because - 4 is the minimum...

If you're only using 1 cab, ALL the power goes there - it better be able to take it. If you have 2, the power is split between them - each gets half.

Big difference between the LH500 and the 1001rb. If the Hartke is an option for you, you might also look at the LH1000. But read the specs carefully, especially if you have yet to make the 1 or 2 cab decision. I have the LH1000 but the GK's get a lot of love here, and the LH500 also has its place (if you are running _1_ 8-Ohm cab, it could be a better choice, especially if it has limited power-handling capacity.)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Big +1 Read the stickies. 15's are not bassy/10's are not punchy by virtue of their diameter. But, a 410 is usually twice as loud as a single 15. If you want loud, you need more spkrs. Also, the spkr cab is the more important half of the rig- so don't skimp there. A cheaper amp with a better quality cab is better than the opposite.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

In short, I'd get a 4x10 if you are going for big low end. Try looking for a used GK 400rb or 800rb-II and a 4x10 to go with it, plenty of volume IME. The Class D MB heads from GK are pretty sick too. I would definitely give those a whirl :bassist:

7. Sartori

Sartori

What others have said so far.

Though, and I know that it's your tone, not mine, but I would avoid going for a really low end heavy sound unless your guitarists aren't using much in the way of lows, if any at all. Especially in a faster metal genre, going for more low end is going to put you in competition for sonic space with both the guitars (if they boost their lows, as many guitarists do), and the kick drum.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with Option A. I like the head but don't trust the cab. Maybe you can find something known to be legit on the used market.

9. Gasmaskboi19371

Gasmaskboi19371

ChaosMK,
    It said it was 1000 watts at 4 ohms on the Fender website.