Does this tick anyone else off???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lfmn16, Nov 11, 2012.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I just joined a band and we had a singer over for an audition. She shows up with a song list with about 200 songs on it. She doesn't know what key she plays a single song in. At one point she says, "There's an E written at the bottom of the page. Does that mean anything?" I've had this happen on several occasions. How do you show up at an audition not even knowing what key you sing something in ... not a single song.

Also, we called a handful of songs off the list that she didn't know. To me that's like lying on your resume.

I hate singers. Rant over.
  2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

I'd only expect a singer to know the key of a song if they wanted to sing it in a key different from the original.
  3. Deedubs

Deedubs

this
  4. Salamenster

Salamenster

Kudos to Double E. We mostly don't care for the key at first. If it works, aight then. We'll start transposing only if it's really needed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

A well-prepared singer knows the key. It's bedrock basic. I have helped a number of singers grasp the importance of this, and it became much easier to jam with them.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Keys are for cars. Just sing damnit!
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I wouldn't expect it from a weekend warrior. From a pro, sure. But I don't play with pros, not being one myself...

But bringing a list of stuff you say you know, and then not knowing it... that's not good. I'd only excuse that if they had learned it in a different arrangement or something. Back when I was into theater, I auditioned for summer stock. I hadn't brought a song so they asked me to pick one they had there; I chose "Steam Heat" because I knew it from a singing group in college... but the arrangement was totally different and I got lost.

Didn't get the gig, though... which is fair.
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've had singers show up and not even know the words even though they were given a song list well in advance.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Oh it most definitely does!

Did you find this person on kijiji/CL? The amount of "singer" ads I see on my local kijiji is ridiculous, they are all "singers" but none of them know anything about music they just feel they are the right person to front a band.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I'm not sure where they found this woman. She had a very middle of the road voice; not offensive, but not memorable.

I'm actually quite surprised how many people here on TB are OK with the singer not knowing the key they sing in. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but frankly, for me, that's a deal breaker.
  12. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Play the original key of the song unless they state otherwise.
  13. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

My show band was looking for female vocalists in the late 80's, most all of them terrible. But, they all knew Patsy Cline's "Crazy". Still can't listen to it. 99% of them had no clue what key they sang in. I would have them sing and find the key myself. Ugh.
  14. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

As Branford said..

I don't care for singers, but I'm OK with musicians who can sing.
  15. Duckwater

Duckwater

My experience with singers has been mostly negative. My band just focuses on playing tight and we let our singer embarrass himself all he wants.
  16. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I agree with you.

Amazingly, I encounter the same thing - with guitar players.
    In the past three months, I have played with two different guitarists in two different bands that didn't know how to determine the key of a song.

That's a basic of band play. If you don't know what the key of a song means, it's time to log off of the Craigslist Musicians section and get back to work on learning.
  17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Slightly off-tangent: We're frequently approached by female singer wannabe's during a set. My standard response has been "...okay, we'll let you sit in provided you don't do Me & Bobbi McGee or anything by Patsy Cline". 9 times out of 10, their jaws drop open and they just walk away.

Riis
  18. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I wish I knew how the Me and Booby McGee thing took root.

I really dislike that song. What a bore.
  19. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I haven't been around as many singers as many on here I'm sure, but none of the ones I've been around have known the key.
  20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Probably going to get an infraction for this, but...

A young gynecologist just out of medical school lands a job with a small private practice in Nashville. As it happens his first week he'll be covering appointments for the chief gyno while he's on vacation. Strictly routine examinations.

His first patient comes in, disrobes and put her feet in the stirrups. As he leans in to begin the exam he faintly hears "Crazy..."

He decides he must be hearing things, finishes the exam, and has the nurse bring in the next patient. Again, feet in the stirrups, "Crazy..."

As the day goes on this happens with every patient. Later at home the doctor he's covering for calls to ask him how things went. He details his experience, sure that he's about to be sent to the loony bin. The senior gynecologist just laughs and says, "Son, this is Nashville. Every **** in town thinks she's Patsy Cline!"
  21. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I prefer working with professionals. :)