1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Does weight of bass play a factor in tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikepinkerton, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

I was looking at a Fender PBass on Sweetwater and they have a cool feature where they show pictures and specs of each guitar they have in stock, so you can see the exact guitar you're getting. I noticed that one of the guitars was 8lbs and another was 9lbs. That seems like a surprisingly large difference between two supposedly identical guitars.

I know for solid-body electric guitars, mass has a lot to do with its tone (think Les Paul), but how much does it matter for basses? Basically, should I go for the heavier one to get a better sound, or the lighter one to save my back because the extra weight makes no difference? Also, why would there be such a discrepancy between the two?

What do folks think?

-mike

2. Nobody

Nobody

3. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

4. kevteop

kevteop

Depending on who you ask, you may even be told that the colour of a bass plays a factor in the tone. :rollno:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nobody

Nobody

Tort affects tone more than anything.

7. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

Media:
    My EBMM Stingray 5 is heavy as hell, and it doesn't sound that good.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Amen.

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

No no and NO. On electric solid bodied instruments (both guitar AND bass) weight and mass have ZERO effect on the tone. If it really mattered then steinbergers wouldn't sound like a bass guitar at all.

10. mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

11. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

I say go for the lighter one. You will notice the biggest difference after 3 hours of playing with a strap.

12. PJRL

PJRL

Do they really sound like Bass guitars ?? :p

13. kimokeo

kimokeo

My Ibanez weighs about half as much as my PBass, and sounds twice as good. So, in this particular case, weight has nothing to do with it.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Sure, in this case comparing two completely different instruments with different pickups and pickup placements.

Two "identical" instruments will still sound a teeny bit different due to a million different factors. Across those two basses on Sweetwater it's probable that if you were to play them side-by-side in a controlled environment you could notice a very small difference of some sort, which could be due to weight, the particular pieces of wood it was constructed with, construction tolerances, variances with strings or pickups or the phase of the moon.

Everything matters, but nothing (beyond pickup and pickup placement) matters. Very zen.

15. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

Mine didn't sound to great so I sold it. :bag:

But I have an Ibanez Axstar which I play occasionally. It has marginally more body than a Steinberger. Much more comfortable to play... and is not as full sounding as the tone of my full bodied basses. :)

Anyway, tone depends on lots of stuff and if it sounds good or you like it for another reason it doesn't matter what it looks like. IMHO.

16. Doctor J

Doctor J

Leo got it right first time, 80% of the time and I don't recall any Precisions being made out of lead, so it's a no.

17. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Ive found that many heavier instruments sound better than most light instruments, finding a good sounding light instrument is not easy.

18. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Ask Paul Simonon..
    '[The P-bass] just had such a weight to it... and a thickness of sound.'
    Paraphrasing slightly but it's all subjective. Maybe it does

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I prefer lighter basses because of the long gig nights.

My P-V weighs just over 8lbs and has really nice vibe. Could be just a lucky combination of materials intersecting at the assembly point.

Sometimes, it's just the right instrument.

20. electracoyote

electracoyote

I can't prove it, and I'm only speaking for myself, but I believe a heavier body affects tone and sustain. How much? Well, I notice. Will you? There's a good chance you would not.

FWIW, as an experienced guitar player, I also find this to be my reality with guitars. For example, I can not play Thinline-style Telecasters, even though I love the look and vibe, because they are so much lighter than solid-bodied equivalents and sound so much different to me.

21. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

It seems logical to me that if you have two otherwise identical basses that weigh differently, the wood of the heavier bass must have greater density. I would think this would have some bearing on tone. My guess is it would be more of a "barely perceptible difference" than a "good/bad" thing. I claim no expertise in the matter.