Does Xero Deluxe + Octron = Subterranea?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Jan 12, 2014.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Forgive me, but I'm seriously considering picking up a Xerograph Deluxe for my envelope filter cravings. I already own a Foxrox Octron. Seems to me that IE Subterranea' availability is/has been/will be unpredictable. So would the Xero/Octron combo equate to the functionality of a Sub?

Thanks
  2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

No.

Edit: But if you add an Oxide, you'll get a pretty killer synth tone.
  3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

No. Ive owned both at the same time and it sounds nothing like the subt...
  4. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

With having owned both what is your opinion? Are there any similarities besides the sub having a built in octave?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I normally try to stay out of these threads because I wouldn't want my presence to keep people from expressing their opinions freely. But I thought I might be able to give some details that might help you decide what fits your needs.

The Xerograph Deluxe is a much more feature-rich filter than the filter in the Subterranea. The Sub's filter only operates on the traditional octave voice, not on the synth voices. The Sub's filter is only controlled by a cutoff frequency knob and has fixed resonance, whereas the Xero Deluxe allows you to control cutoff with a knob, an expression pedal, and/or your playing envelope, and it has variable resonance. The two filters are also totally different in design, so they sound different. Think of the filter on the Subterranea as an extra-deep tone knob for getting more versatility out of the "OC2-type" sound.

I couldn't compare the sound of the Octron because I haven't used one, and it would be improper for me to offer my opinion on somebody else's product, but the Octron does have an octave up voice, which the Subterranea does not. The Sub instead has the unison and octave synth voices with variable waveshaping.

The idea behind the Subterranea was to be used in concert with a separate filter, much in the way that a traditional synth voice is made by sending a harmonically-rich oscillator with sub-osc into a resonant filter.

I hope that helps differentiate the feature sets of these pedals.

By the way, you'll be able to purchase IE pedals in about a month. :) I just wanted to get wait times down because I know how annoying it is to wait forever for your new pedal, so that's what we're focused on right now. When we reopen things should be in stock, ready to ship.
  7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Welcome back Taylor! Good to see your voice here.
  8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Good info Taylor, and definitely good to see that things are moving in a positive direction for you and Iron Ether.

Just to add my two cents, the Octron is a nice analog octave down that is a bit fatter sounding than the OC-2 but doesn't have the synthiness of the Boss (or IE SubT) if that's what you're looking for.

The octave up is also analog, getting the effect by clipping a pair of diodes which makes it much more effective/noticeable when playing up high. You can use all three voices on the Octron to get some synthy type tones but nowhere near as synth-like as the SubT.

Either the Octron or the SubT will work great with the Xerograph though with the Octron I'd want a synthy fuzz added to the mix if I really want to get the type of tones that the SubT/Xero combo can generate.
  9. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Hey! It's the man himself; hope all is well or better! Thanks Taylor for posting and for the update on wait time. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Also great to know that the SubT and Xero could be used together. I may give the SubT a whirl once they're back in stock.
  10. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

I agree with your assessment of the Octron. I'm currently using a Tall Font Russian and a Duality for my fuzz needs. I haven't owned the Octron for too long but it does seem fat.

I hear that the SubT has killer tracking to go along with that "synthyness"
  11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

More importantly, they were DESIGNED to be used together.

Well, the Octron and SubT are both octavers. I like the octave up of the Octron but I find that I get that same sort of tone just by rolling up the filter of the SubT.

And while the Octron is no slouch for tracking, I'd say that the SubT does track better. Of course they are both analog octavers so they won't track as well as something digital like the POG but as far as analog octavers go the SubT is the best I've used.
  12. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Here are my SubT demos. Most of them use the xerograph deluxe at some point.

SubT>XeroD>Polytope is the greatest combo of pedals I've ever heard.