1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Does your band wear a uniform?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Dec 30, 2012.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

I'm not talking about police or fire-fighter or anything but does your band have an outfit you all wear to gigs? Particularly interested in hearing about cover bands here.

My band does bars and weddings and functions and we wear white shirts with blue ties and either jeans or dress pants depending on the gig. I'm kind of getting sick of wearing this as I don't feel it suits the band and I'm wondering what other bands do?

Black shirts are a bit too common and makes you look like one of the catering staff!!

Let me know what you guys are rocking and what kind of music you do also!!
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    My old band did....

[​IMG]
  3. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I played in an oldies band for several years, we would wear white collar-less dress shirts for mor formal gigs, white polo shirts in the summer over black slacks.

We had two singers, one who was a total primadonna. He would occasionally show up dressed differently so that we (including the other singer) looked like his backup band.

I haven't played in that sort of band for a long time. Now I dress comfortable, not sloppy.
  4. tmdazed

tmdazed

offensive t-shirts, jeans, runners and my skully beanie, dont give a rats rear end what the other guys wear
  5. cableguy

cableguy

I wear shorts........:bag:
  6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I wear REI hiking clothes. Quick dry socks, undershirt, shorts. And the most important: Ex-Officio brand underwear. No swamp ass. Ever! Mostly black and gray or black and dark green (matches my black bass nicely). It's all about comfort if you wanna play your best.

Oh, and the only reason any of that applies to the bands I've been in and my current project is that I've converted band mates to the quick-dry undies. They're worth every penny.
  7. pklima

pklima

Looking coherent is a good thing, but too uniform starts to look dated IMO. Unless you're wearing tuxes for a wedding, are in an actual military band, or are backing a big star, you can overdo uniformity.

That's theory, though. In real life, my bands find any coherence hard to achieve. One, I don't play in bands without female singers, so we probably shouldn't dress really identically. Two, I like to dress like an attention-starved douchelord, and none of my male bandmates have the confidence to do that, LOL.

And as much as I hate to admit this, metal bands seem to be better than most at looking coherent.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Band uniforms might not really exist anymore, but genre uniforms certainly do.
  9. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

In that last picture, the singer strikes me as being afraid of that double-necked, spiky thing you call a bass. :D
  10. cardboardJoe

cardboardJoe

Not since high school........
  11. pklima

pklima

I've noticed Rihanna's live backing band seems to wear all black while avoiding the rock/metal look, with the end result that they dress a lot like these guys.

[​IMG]

I guess it works, though.
  12. Russell L

Russell L

One of my bands (variety) likes to wear khakis and Hawaiian shirts occasionally (I hate it), but usually it's just something that looks ok and not all alike. Except, tonight we're in tuxes for an Elks Club NYE party. One of my other bands (classic rock) wears whatever. And my blues band does the same. I like it best when each of us can be who they wanna be onstage.
  13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

That is killer! Seriously, great look!! :cool:
  14. charliefreak

charliefreak

... Are these guys all related or something??
  15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Skinny jeans and deep V necks ?
  16. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I had a couple friends in a hardcore band that used to wear shirt and tie and some slacks. Sometimes they all matched, sometimes they didn't. Pretty odd for a hardcore band.
  17. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Blues and blues rock covers: BL insists on matching band t-shirts in black over blue jeans. But, the BL designed and paid for the t-shirts so, what the hey!
  18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Our band used to wear matching outfits...in high school, in the mid to late 60's. I was in a classic country band in the mid-late 70's. We wore jeans, white western shirts, cowboy boots and hats. It worked. I haven't been in a group that has done so since. We ain't much to look at these days. Dressing alike wouldn't make us look any better or sound any better.
  19. 4dog

4dog

Im pretty sure we are all wearing underwear,, well ,,, reasonably sure.? Maybe.
  20. pklima

pklima

They're a family. A family business.