1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dogs Have a Butt Compass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Jan 3, 2014.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/dogs-have-a-butt-compass-poop-facing-ns-pole-140102.htm

"It’s all starting to make sense. For years I wondered why my dog spins in a circle before depositing her daily double. But now I think I have a clue as to why. Scientists at the Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague have found that, like other animals, dogs are sensitive to Earth’s magnetism.

Dogs prefer to do their duty with their bodies aligned along the north-south axis, particularly under calm magnetic field conditions, report Hynek Burda, et al. in a study published in the Frontiers of Zoology. The field can fluctuate and I can’t help but wonder if it’s on those unstable days that my dog circles round and round like a housefly on a windowsill.

Animals Gone Wild On Spring Break: Photos

The scientists came to their conclusion after measuring the direction of the body axes of 70 dogs, representing 37 different breeds, as they were making a deposit — the dogs, not the scientists. The researchers observed both number ones and number twos over a two-year period.

After sorting the data according to the geomagnetic conditions, among other technical variables, the team concluded that dogs were predictably sensitive to Earth magnetism and showed sensitivity to changes in polarity, rather than intensity of the magnetic field.

Next time your dog poops, take note of the direction and report back."
  2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I have 4 dogs, and have often noticed that they are in perfect polar alignment whenever they doo the doo simultaneously. Then again, maybe it's just a little butt sniffing game of "doggie twister".
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

My dogs crap on the west side of my yard... there goes that theory...
  4. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841

Haha, my gf (a vet) is going to love this.
  5. ZenG

ZenG

I just watched our dog take four dumps over the course of two days now that you mention it.....

and I'll be damned!....there may be some truth to that theory....

I tried standing at different places....but the dog totally ignores me personally.....

When it takes a wee-wee it doesn't care which way it's facing.....

Same thing when it farts while it's sleeping....
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman

I read this, took my boxer out to poop, and darn if he didn't just face South. Asked my wife if she ever noticed which way he faces, and she said South.

I don't watch any of the other dogs; they go out on their own. The boxer has to be on a leash, because he might kill a cat or two.

I will try and see what the other dogs are doing next time, if possible.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

But which way do they FACE?
  8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

This is REAL science, dammit.

I shall meticulously observe the dumping habits of my dog and report back with a full data set.
  9. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

You know.... of all the things that I can be doing right now, diligently observing my dog dropping a deuce ain't one of 'em.
    This may very well be one of those "I'll just have to take your word on it" things...

freaks
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

So a dogs butt is not just for identification? I always thought there was more to the whole spin before pooping thing, now I have proof.

Attached Files:

11. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Calibration. :D
  12. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

Only two of my dogs spin before they poop and they've never faced any particular direction... wherever they stop spinning is where it lands. The other dog is too old and stupid to spin (and she'd probably fall over if she did) and she faces any direction she wants.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman

Bad news. Axl pooped facing West today.

I guess the world is going to end, or there could be magnetic interference.

Or the whole thing could be bunk.

We may never know.
  14. groooooove

groooooove

im just happy this thread exists.
  15. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

My dog mostly faces west, but she also kinda moves around as she poops so...it's still just a theory and not a law. But Sheila prioritizes West, apparently.

Maybe the big poops mean something??

Peace,
    Greg
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm just hoping that "Axl" is your dog and that you are not stalking bat**** crazy has-been rock stars.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman

There's always hope.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Our little blue healer is very particular about where she drops her deposit. I've had several occasions where she was confined to the house for healing and had to be walked for her business. She would take forever sniffing then settle down and sniff in about a 3 inch grid until she found just the right spot, then she would get in position (facing west in retrospect) so her poop hit the exact center of her little sniff grid. Oddly enough she goes up in the woods to do her business when left to her own devices so I have no idea which way she orients. I'm just glad she has enough consideration to not leave us any surprises in the yard.