Dollar shave club?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I just ran out of a massive hoard of Gillette fusion blades that my dad bought years ago at Costco. Anyone try the dollar shave club? https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/
    I'm thinking of trying the executive blades. It's 9 for 4 blades a month. You can opt for 4 blades every 2 months which would be fine for me. $54 bucks a year for all the blades I'll need seems pretty good. Anyone try it?
  2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

3. TechJunky

TechJunky Supporting Member

I was looking into this a bit, and after some research, most reviews I've read were reasonably positive. The blades were rated highly, but the value is questionable. DSC gets their blades from Dorco, and you can buy directly from them for less. DSC admits that you could do it for less, but it's the added convenience of "never forgetting to buy blades" and having them delivered to your door on a regular basis.

I just ordered a set (handle and ten blades) for about $20 from amazon. Had a gift card, so I figured I'd check it out. If I like them, you can buy the refills pretty cheap ($31 for 24 blades, or $1.30/blade assuming you get the 6 blade razor). Compared to $20 for an 8 pack of the Gillette ProGlide that I've been using, it's a much better value. I'll report back once I receive and test the blades, but again, at least the reviews I've read have all been positive in regards to the actual blades themselves.
  4. srcTW

srcTW Supporting Member

I use DSC and I'm paying 4 bucks a month. I change my blade every couple of weeks. It's easy and the blades are good. I recommend it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I am part of the TRUE Dollar Shave club. My Own. My local .99 cent store sells these 10 for a $1. Best disposable razor I have ever used regardless of price. I use one per shave and toss them. They are truly the best. I have 10 packages on hand at any one time.

[​IMG]
  7. RS

RS Supporting Member

I am fan of DSC. Worth the cash IMO.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

My facial hair has the uncanny ability to render blades dull very quickly. Two shaves across my face with a Mach 3 cartridge will make it perform about as well as one of those plastic disposables you can get from the dollar store.

Therefore, I began shaving with a DE safety razor. I can buy a hundred Derby or Astra blades for about 10 bucks. I can order a hundred pack of Feathers for 25 bucks off of Ebay. Plus, the DE shave is infinitely superior to a cartridge system.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]
  10. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I am blessed with a great head of hair, miserable beard growth unlike my son's who get a shadow as soon as they put the razor down. A Fusion blade gets ran across my face every three days, which satisfies the wife's requirement for smooth skin against delicate surfaces. Said blade easily lasts me 6-8 weeks. The Club isn't needed for me...I just watch for the occasional sale on the Fusions (Power handle, gotta love it).;)
  11. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Hopefully you toss into a recycling bin.:cool:
  12. Chebass88

Chebass88

Shave time, shave money.

So says Howard.
  13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1 on the DE
    Best shave short of a straight razor.
  14. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
  15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I didn't realize you could recycle these. Never occurred to me. I will start doing just that.
  16. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    They recycle the damnedest things. You know the little batteries in quartz watches - silver oxide. A 20 ounce water bottle full of dead ones is $65-80 depending on price of silver.[BOT] Yeah, shaver should be easy - plastic and plated steel blades, crush, run a magnet over. Next.

I should make sure my sons know about that shaver club...one's a salesman, probably shaving twice a day.:meh:
  17. tplyons

tplyons

I love Dollar Shave Club... I signed up and use the 2-blade razors. $3 a month for 5 blades to be delivered to my house... I use 'em for a week and toss 'em.
  18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I've used them. Broke 3 handles in as many weeks.

Bought a safety razor and 200 blades on Ebay for 30 bucks. That was a year ago, and I haven't spent another dime.
  19. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

This safety razor is intriguing. Is it harsh on the skin? I have really sensitive skin on my face.
  20. jp58

jp58

Nah. Not for me anyways. I started shaving with a DE and a lot of my issues cleared up. I almost never get razor burn or bumps anymore. The bumps were the worst for me.
  21. pedroims

pedroims

I am using a safety razor these days, I got a package of 120 blades for $30