Donald Duck Dunn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lalo, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Lalo

Lalo

To me he is a bassplayer that has great feel and has done a great amount for Blues, what do you think of his style and the man....

For you guys that may not know him well here is a list of some of the bands and artists he played with..
    Booker T and the M.G.s
    The Blues Brothers Band
    Muddy Waters
    Eric Clapton
    Otis Redding
    Sam & Dave
    Neil Young
    Albert King
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Rod Stewart
    And many more...

2. Bluesy Soul

Bluesy Soul

He is the unequalled master of the simple, yet soulful groove.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

3. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I listened to Booker T & the MGs' Greatest Hits yesterday, and thought about how he played on some Albert King stuff...he's like a bass machine. Hard to describe...very regimented sounding, in a good, powerful, driving way...kind of like a drummer with low notes.

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Thats a guy that keeps it together. Someone that puts the groove first.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

7. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

amazing. i love all of his stuff. i especially love him in The Blues Brothers Band.

8. bassist15

bassist15

One of my very top influences. I grew up on those blues brothers album
    cause my dad has been in a blues brothers lip sync duo since the movie came out.
    Heck listening to the Blues Brothers is when my dad suggested I should play bass.
    He is a heck of a soul and blues player and can walk a blues like no other . Long Live Donald Duck Dunn.

9. Lalo

Lalo

[​IMG]

Yea also a cool cat... :bassist:

10. GM60466

GM60466

He also played with Michael Bloomfield and Paul Butterfield.

G

11. NickBass81

NickBass81

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    The first bassline I ever learned when I started playing was "Peter Gunn Theme".... great Duck!! A master!!
    In the last 2 years I've played alot with a Blues Brothers tribute band, and had great fun playing Dunn's amazing basslines...

12. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Here's the original, by Henry Mancini.

That's the first song that got me into music in general, and why I like bass.

13. Bluesy Soul

Bluesy Soul

Without taking anything away from Duck, I hope everyone who says they like him in the Blues Brothers realizes that, other than a few songs originally played by bassists at Atlantic and elsewhere (like Jerry Jemmott, David Hood, Tommy Cogbill and other greats), many of the lines Duck played as a Blues Brother were originally played by Duck as part of Booker T and the MGs, the house band at Stax/Volt. In that capacity, Duck played his great lines for not only Booker T and the MGs, but also for Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, Albert King, Eddie Floyd, Carla Thomas and countless others.

I really like Duck's work. He's an all-time favorite. He wrote and played most of my favorites, however, before the Blues Brothers existed.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

14. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

I finally got to see him a few summers ago with Booker T. and the MGs, who I've been a fan of since I first heard 'Green Onions' as a teen. All of their songs still stand up and are a lesson in keeping it simple and gorgeous. I bought Stax box set on vinyl in the '80s and just couldn't believe how much great music he played on.

There are some awesome clips of them over the years playing live, on Youtube.

He comes across as a real nice guy, and obviously loves making people dance with his pounding lines. A living legend.

15. Lalo

Lalo

Love this video

16. Alex E

Alex E

Great player who is excellent to study from! So many brilliant recordings and a great case-study in clean, efficient playing that helps make a great song and is not driven by ego.

17. Lalo

Lalo

Yea very down to earth:bassist:

this one is a classic

18. Alex E

Alex E

Ah, yes, the great "Green Onions"! Thanks a bunch, San Antonio Man. I'm 550 miles to the west of you on I-10. Take Care.

19. deaf pea

deaf pea

Disclosures:
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    originally played by Lewis Steinberg (the original bassist with Booker T and the M.G.s) . . .

I wouldn't want to take ANYTHING away from Duck Dunn (a true gentleman), but credit on this one goes to L. S. . . . AND to Booker T, Cropper and Al Jackson . . .

:cool:

20. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

I was over at STAX just the other day picking up some goodies at the museum store for the band ...

Two of the guys there were bass players too and we got into a discussion about Duck and the STAX sound vs Jamerson and the Motown thing. I had just seen "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" so it was really fresh on my mind. Jamerson and the "FUNK Brothers" were just super talented creative guys. The Stax thing was a different process that yielded a very punchy more rhythm section oriented sound with horn punches. Can't take anything away from either sound but I'm a STAX guy through and through.

[​IMG]

An interesting side note while there I was watching a video display behind the sales counter and a photo came up of Duck Dunn holding a stack knob white Jazz Bass ... stopped me in my tracks! We get so used to Duck and the P bass that seeing him even holding a Jazz seems out of place.

:) ... Check out the museum if you get down this way

21. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Mr. D's talent can be described as "Lean and Mean". We could all take a page from his book and study it.