Donald Duck Dunn's Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thetes, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Thetes

Thetes

I'm listening to those old lines and hearing them like I've never heard them before, and I'm burning to find tabs of them. Can anyone help with this? Several searches have come up blank. Wasn't that Dunn behind Sam and Dave? It's awesome!

Thanks

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Congrats on your rediscovery and new appreciation...I do that myself every now and then with a variety of players. Mostly the old school guys like Duck and others who I stupidly discounted in my youth because they weren't playing a million notes a second or didn't play with a metal band. Might I respectfully suggest that you'd gain a whole lot more from your experience if you take a little extra time to figure out Duck's lines by ear alone? They really aren't very difficult, and you could at least learn the notes involved in a shorter time than a few fruitless tab searches would take. Now the feel and genius for simplicity might take years to acquire, but then again you won't get that from tabs either! You can do it! Go for it!

3. gruffpuppy

gruffpuppy

there is also a book called "What Ducks Dunn"
    i think its pretty cheap, about $20
    i saw it a Borders books but www.musiciansfriend.com also has it.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Woohoo! It's a sunny day every time someone discovers Duck Dunn. In my very humble opinion, his style is what bass playing is all about.

Mchildree is right, you could probably figure them out by ear. Some simple scale knowledge and a little experimentation and your on your way!

Also, listen to anything by the Blues Brothers, and Booker T and the MGs, they both feature Dunn's booty-movin bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RAM

RAM

Yup! I agree, wholeheartedly....sort of...I discovered the Blues Brothers back in the 1980's and learned really quickly to appreciate Duck's lines, particularly on that wonderful tune based on my hometown: Sweet Home Chicago.

Here's my issue: please recommend CD's (not just names of bands, but individual CD's) that he's performed well on...I'm interested in picking some up!

7. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

If you have some cash, pick up the stax box set, its like $70, but the duck stuff on their is incredible

8. RAM

RAM

$70 is no problem. But, what is stax box? Under what artist? Is it easy to find?

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

I'm sure he's talking about "The Stax/Volt Singles 1959-68". Stax/Volt was (is) a label and they not only put out Booker T and the MGs (Duck's band) but Duck also played in the "studio" band behind other artists on the label like Sam and Dave.

It's a nine cd set. It's a lot of money. If I wasn't so poor I'd have it, but, as it is, you can get a lot of his other stuff. Just check anything on that label (you can search at cdnow.com by label) and look at the recording credits to see if Duck played on that album or not. It's not hard to find, you can probably get it online for cheap, I've never seen it in stores, but I've never particularly looked, either.

10. sgraham

sgraham

And of course, you can see Duck in action (along
    with his longtime partner Steve Cropper) in both
    of the Blues Brothers movies.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

That's very true. The first is one of my favorite movies. The second is a travesty. If you rent it, just fast-forward to the jam at the end, with all the celebrities. That makes the movie almost worth it. Almost.

12. RAM

RAM

Well, as a Chicagoan, I'm a bit biased when I say that the first Blues Brothers is one of my favorite all time movies! That movie actually what turned me on to Duck!

If I don't want to get the entire box set, can you guys recommend one or two CD's that I could start out with?

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Get Booker T & the MGs greatest hits. It's like 12 bucks online.

That has all the great songs they did, many of which are actually in the Blues Brothers soundtrack. (you should get that if you dont have it.) But the greatest hits has songs like Green Onions (I guarantee you've heard it before) and Melting Pot. The song Time is Tight is actually the theme song that the band plays in Blues Brothers when Jake and Elwood come out for the first time in the Palace Hotel Ballroom, just slowed down a bit and without the horn.

Other CDs by them:

Green Onions
    Sould Dressing
    Back to Back
    Hig Hug Her
    The Very Best Of (thats the one you NEED)

14. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Also try the best of otis redding...not only is it classic duck but also has one of the greatest soul singers of all time.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  16. MM

MM

Duck is great and a major influence on me. I have "The Best of Booker T. & the M.G.'s" from Atlantic and another one from Rhino. I like the Atlantic one better because it has more songs on it and it has Hip Hugger. Unfortunately neither one has another of my favorites, Time is Tight.

FYI, some of the Booker T. & the M.G.'s stuff, including Green Onions, isn't Duck on bass. It's Lewis Steinberg. AfterSteinberg left, Steve Cropper got his old Mar-Keys band mate, Duck Dunn, to join. And the rest is history.

17. coochiebluz

coochiebluz

did you find any Tabs or have you figured them out yet?
    after playing guitar for many years I am slowly getting into bass playing so I have been looking for Tabs by various bassists including duck dunn. I have some I downloaded from a french site (which has now closed) if you are interested???

18. coochiebluz

coochiebluz

PS I forgot to say.......I guess you know that duck dunn has written a book called 'What Duck Done' which has 33 songs tabbed. it may be out of print now but if you search around you might find a copy. (I do not have a copy)

19. Richland123

Richland123

Yes, Dunn is a great player and one of the best groove players. Take notice that many times he recorded or played the same songs differently. Just a couple examples of that are Time Is Tight and Green Onions. Check You Tube and you will find him playing variations on songs but always really cool stuff.

20. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose. Supporting Member

Albert King's "Born Under A Bad Sign".

I'm still new to bass and found all his lines easy to figure out by ear, yet not simple (as in "boring"). True, essential blues bass. I play along to this record every other day and learn a lot, every time.

21. miltslackford

miltslackford

there's a few of them in 'the bass bible'

I've also transcribed 'she caught the katy' - can send it to you if you PM