1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Double Bass Setup Video

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by shrigg, Feb 10, 2013.

1. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

I made this video as my luthier worked on my newly-acquired EH Roth double bass.

Double Bass Setup Video with Luthier Ken McKay

I really learned a lot watching him work, so I thought I would post it here for everyone's information. Enjoy!

Best,
    Darren

edit: The video has been removed. Thanks for watching

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

3. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Believe it, or don't, I actually mentored Ken as a luthier (which I ain't) when he lived here in Denver. In fact, I still have an old guitarron (which I don't play) that I had him restore as one of his first projects. I have it hanging from my ceiling to impress my Mexican friends so that they make me green chili......:hyper:

Good cat, please send my best to him........

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Great video. Learned a new thing or two. Thanks. Hope he is doing well also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar

Thanks for posting this; it should be required viewing for all "URB Noobz." It would answer a lot of questions about what goes into proper setup right off the bat.

The only problem is that these professionals make it look so easy, it might encourage inexperienced klutzes like me to think they are capable of doing this stuff themselves. Step away from the soundpost setter...

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    +1

8. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

Glad everyone is enjoying it!

Stay tuned for part two where we plan to fit the new endpin, improve bridge fit to eliminate gaps and install a wing mounted pickup. Hopefully the next video will be shorter... :cool:

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

Watching him drag the bridge with metal adjusters across the top and then rattle tools onto the inside of the F-hole over and over kinda made my testicles suck back up into my body.

10. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

11. Ken McKay

Ken McKay

Yes a very useful tool. I just acquired it a while ago and use it for things now and then. I wish it was available years ago. And so inexpensive too.

I used to post here often, a lot of great players around here as I recall.

How's your thumb muscle Shrigg?

12. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

The video belongs to me. I've contacted the Forum Moderator to make sure this post is appropriate.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    After a discussion of the origins of the video, I am satisfied that it is allowable under the current rules. I have cleaned up the thread of all disrespectful sniping from both sides. That said, I would ask the membership to keep several things in mind:

- Just as it is certainly allowable to post a setup and repair video, it is also allowable for other members to disagree with the procedure(s) put forth in such a video. The important thing to keep in mind in cases like this is that all comments - positive or negative - remain inherently respectful.

Just as a reminder, our rule #1 here at Talkbass reads:

- If you can post your disagreement with/objections to anything shown in this or any video respectfully, that is entirely in bounds. If not, it's out of bounds. Respectfully disagreeing with someone is not really all that difficult to do if you try. In a thread about my jazz bass video series, a poster does a nice job of disagreeing with something I illustrated in in one of the videos. It was totally in bounds as per the rules, and I'm totally fine with it.

- If someone disagrees with or objects to something shown in a video or heard on an audio recording and does it respectfully, that can foster healthy discussion, and that's pretty much one of the things this site exists for.

- Last, this is the internet. People are going to disagree. Just keep it clean, and it's all good.

Take 2...

14. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

Chris--I've been away from the DB sude of this board for awhile. I forgot what a great admin you are. Thanks for keeping it fun and civil.
    --Steve

15. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

Handled succinctly and with class. Thanks, Chris.

Best,
    Darren

16. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

Sore! :cool:

17. tyb507

tyb507

Aw, the disrespectful sniping was my favorite part of this thread!

18. Hector Wolff

Hector Wolff

Ken makes of point of saying that orchestra bridges are less curved or flatter, than jazz bridges.

I always thought that the greater curvature (within reason) would be advantageous for bowing, while a flatter bridge would be preferred for jazz pizz.

Am I misguided?

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Don't know if you are misguided, but I prefer flatter bridges for jazz playing - bridges that follow the radius of the fingerboard more closely, and which allow for the G and D to be closer in height than most orchestral bridges.

20. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    +1

21. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    No, you are correct - arco players need the curve to be such that the angle shift with the bow needed to change strings is constant across the board, whereas pizz players are more interested in a consistent feel. This often translates to arco bridges being rounder and also needing the strings spaced a little wider apart.

In the video, Ken holds up his bridge template (a photocopy of Hank Strobel's ) and you can see that he's crossed out where Strobel printed 'Jazz' and has re-labeled it 'Orchestral'... :(