1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Double finger pizz technique (Right hand) DB FORUM THREAD

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Just did a lesson with an auditioning student this weekend, and during the course of the lesson we were going over many of the various types of pizz stokes that we have seen various players do. Along the way, we talked about "double finger" pizz technique, as in one finger stacked on top of another in the right hand (i.e. - how Ron Carter sometimes puts the middle finger on top of the index while plucking with the index); I mentioned that I also sometimes see players do it the other way, with the index finger stacked on top of the middle finger while the middle finger plucks. The student just emailed me letting me know that he is enjoying experimenting with this technique and asking if I had any specific names of players doing this or links to videos of this style of pizz playing. Nothing comes immediately to mind, so I thought I'd ask the peanut gallery about this.

Will slap quick selfies (handies?) of both technique positions onto this post for reference. Please excuse the dry, flaky, splotchy skin - we're having Arctic Freeze v 3.0 down here! Anyway, any and all weigh ins appreciated. Also linking the last really useful pizz thread here in case anybody didn't catch it the first time around: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f23/traditional-pizz-technique-still-best-1005646/index2.html

Attached Files:

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

I don't know about vids, but Peter Washington will use pic#2 when soloing....
  3. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

+1
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Thank you, gents. :)

About 10:30 here:
  5. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn Supporting Member

Matt Penman sometimes uses both of those techniques. He mixes up his RH technique, also using just the index finger, or alternating between two fingers for faster stuff.

You can see some of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msyF0d6n7P8
  6. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

OK, I'll bite...what is the purpose of "stacking" over using just the index by itself?
  7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Fatter sound? I usually go for the double barreled two finger approach myself - ala Dennis Irwin.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

The way my hand is built - with the middle finger being much longer than the index - I never use the technique in the picture on the left because it's awkward (hard to hit with the index without the tip of the middle finger also touching the string as well). I sometimes use the technique on the right because the fingers fit together better. I don't really notice any difference in sound, but it does have a slightly different feel and helps me connect the finger more directly to the arm since when those fingers are put together as one there's no temptation to try to "wiggle" that finger; the connection to the bigger mechanism is built in and inevitable in that position.
  9. tshawbass

tshawbass

Ben Allison should be added to this list.
  10. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

I'm guilty of both charges. Never learned this as a "technique" with my teacher, it kinda came naturally when looking for more stability to just YANK them strings.

Pretty, pretty PLEASE don't call them "handies", It'll open a whole new can of worms.