Double NBD: G&L L1000 and Dingwall AB2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Siri, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Siri

Siri Supporting Member

Happy New Year everyone. Thought I would share some photos of my new babies. I bought the L1000 in November and the Dingwall just came yesterday.

I have had my eye out for a Wunkay for years and this one is better than I had hoped for. I got a sweet deal on it locally. The G&L L1000 was made in January 1981 per neck date stamp, Mahogany body and Ebony fretboard. It may have a one piece body. It looks like a one piece if you look at the wood grain, however there is a distinct seam in the finish running exactly down the center of the body. 1 5/8 at the nut. It was filthy, really really filthy, covered with 30 years of greasy fingerprints. It cleaned up well. In surprisingly good shape. Not a bit of rust. Electronics are in great shape. Frets have minimal wear. Some dings but not too bad really. One tuning key is bent. I'm really happy with it. It plays and sounds great.

photos; http://s854.photobucket.com/user/danfisher108/library/GandL L1000?sort=6&page=1

My Dingwall AB1 was stolen from my home recently and my insurance company gave me a surprisingly good settlement, so I went bass shopping. I can't say that I would have chosen to have acquire a new bass in this manner, yet events have worked out well.
    Here it is, my new used AB2, just acquired off TB from Dr Groove. Thanks David! I like that David played it in a Bob Marley tribute band. Filling it up with the Positive Vibration. Yah Mon!
    I really like the look of the natural wood, swirly Bubinga top and neck with mahogany body. The satin finish lets you feel the wood grain. Nice active/passive controls. Sounds and plays great.

photos;http://s854.photobucket.com/user/danfisher108/library/Dingwall AB2?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for looking, Dan

2. reddavid

reddavid

The Dingwall looks GREAT! Like the swirl on the top. The early ones are nice. Probably an unfinished neck, which means you can smooth things out, if needed! Sorry that the 'upgrade' had to come this way, but it looks like you got a beautiful bass!

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That G&L has all the right stuff - burst mahogany body, ebony fretboard, slotted pole pieces. Very desirable and collectable. What do you call a "sweet deal"?

4. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Beautiful grain on your 'new' Afterburner, brother!

You can WOW 'em with the best B string in the biz and lay down some killer P-tone without worrying about gouging any eyes. ;)

Enjoy them in good health in your happy new year! :bassist:

7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Congratulations and enjoy your new instruments! I personally dig the G&L. Very hard to get here in Europe.

8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nice L-1000

Congrats

9. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

That's a really great looking L1000. I have one from the same year and love it. Mine isn't a hog though.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats man! Looks like you'll be quite busy for a spell.

11. Siri

Siri Supporting Member

Happy New Year everyone! I appreciate everyone's comments and enthusiasm. I need to get out to a blues jam soon and play with a band again.

The L1000 is such an amazing instrument. I learned to play on a P bass and this feels so familiar. Leo kept working on his original designs. I've had two months to play it and tweak the setup. It is so well designed I am just amazed that is has not gained more popularity. Versatile tone controls, 3 position switch. Sounds great in all modes. Outstanding instrument.
    Sweat deal as in $600. That was his price and I paid it. Non original case. I spotted it on CL a few months ago for $800-900. It came back up in Nov for $600 and I pounced. The seller said that he had had little interest since putting it up for sale. No one would come see it, few calls, etc.

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

That G&L is sweet..

13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

both are really nice basses, especially that L1K. $600 is a pretty sweet deal. i got my '81 L1K for $700 w/OHSC and it wasnt nearly as clean as yours. i really like the striping in those old ebony boards.

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Amen, brother!

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That is definitely a sweet deal. Well done.

16. Siri

Siri Supporting Member

Thanks everyone. All this craigslist lurking pays off once in a while. Cheers!

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member