1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Double Neck Frankenstein Guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Max Pratt, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Ok so here is the basic idea, the client want me to take his first two guitars and make them into one double neck guitar with a 12 string on top and a six on bottom. The victims are a Stagg LP copy and a Dean "Playmate" Strat copy. These guitars are barely, if at all compatible so much of one will likely be removed or moved to a different part of the instrument.

I know this isn't a bass :bag: but my primary instrument is bass and I mostly work on basses.

Anyway the thread will mostly be pics so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. :)

Oh and please remember to bump the thread a ton if i forget to update it because I will likely have gotten something done! ;)
  2. Beej

Beej

Any startup pics or updates yet?

:D
  3. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

The Victims:

[​IMG]

Cut the pieces:

[​IMG]

Did a quick mock up:

[​IMG]

Stripping Paint, mmmm smells good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that is where we're at! :hyper::bassist::hyper:
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I would glue it together just like that. It's like daring people to say something.
  5. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Haha! That would be awesome! Unfortunately he wants it to be red and black :(
  6. dave-chaulk

dave-chaulk

This is looking cool so far! keep it up!
  7. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

come on.. admit it you enjoyed cutting that stag copy in half. didn't you?
  8. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Maybe... :bag:

Anyways some updates, but it has been cold round these parts so no painting D:

1359671663942.jpg

Glued it up with titebond liquid hide glue and clamped.

1359671720418.jpg

While I wait for that, I think I'll take the top off this and do some cleat placement :D
  9. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Sorry for the double post but i forgot that also made this piece to connect the two and add a flourish.

1359672140941.jpg

Yes, it is made of extra strat...
  10. The Owl

The Owl

Talk about crazily incompatible axes, this German guy (part of the prog trio Schicke Fuhrs and Frohling) had this half Les Paul half Ricky bass thing built for him, talk about Dr. Frankenstein having a field day

Attached Files:

11. Beej

Beej

Someone is paying for this to happen? :D But what about...how are you gonna...but the bodies...the cavities...wait a minute...what?
  12. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

13. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

This build is at my other shop right now, but here are some updates on that upright you saw!!

Here us the model number and such, it is a blonde Kay thinline from 1937

1359906834538.jpg

Cleats glued and carved

1359906769273.jpg

Neck glued and clamped, I will be adding dowels to reinforce the joint later.

Sorry no pic, tb app is being uncooperative, so I will double post, see below.
  14. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

1359907360826.jpg

Here is the gorgeous headplate engraving. It reads, Selmer Kay.

1359907441491.jpg

Thanks all for watching,

Max Pratt
  15. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

This is where I am at now with the upright project, I have also added bondo and done a bunch of heel work on the double neck, it's name is now officially Jekyll and Hyde!

Attached Files:

16. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

NEXT PHOTOS PLEASE?!
  17. Beej

Beej

High school's keeping him busy. :D I did see a video of his band recently...
  18. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Subscribed, saw this thread and forgot to subscribe, never found it again. Now it popped up!