double p phasing issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassboy1076, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

So, I have a Fender black top jazz bass with a double P pickup set up and I put in a pair of EMG PHZ's in it. The first "correct" way of installing them caused major phasing when both pickups were on. Both sound fine on their own, but when the volume is up on both it's terrible. So I proceeded to switch the pickups around, I put them upside down, backwards, neck, pickup on bridge, etc, etc, all ways I could think of. Now I have a set up where it's sounds mostly ok, but still hear some phasing. Any idea on how to fix that?
  2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

This is a wiring issue and doesn't have anything to do with physical orientation. Flip the hot and ground leads of the EMG
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

+1 Mellowgerman. Put them back in in the correct, 'normal' orientations. If it's quiet with both volumes on, flip the leads at the volume pot on just one pair. Doesn't matter which one you flip.
  4. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Actually it's not a complete phase out, it's just a partial phase where the tone is thin and "weird" phased sounding. Switching the wiring will fix it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

That will normally take care of it.

Just reverse the leads on ONE pickup and it doesn't matter which of the two you change.

All the best,

Bob
  7. joshpman85

joshpman85

Glad i looked at this!!! Im wiring up 3 pick ups and having a similar problem...
  8. David Jayne

David Jayne

What kind of problem? What kind of pickups?
  9. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Thanks for the advise