1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Double p wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Teacher, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Teacher

Teacher

Hey, all. I've searched here and other places for the answer but didn't find it. I'm planning a double p build and am looking for lots of flexibility. Obviously I'm going to install series/parallel, but here's mu question: would it be worth it, sonically, to install series/parallel switches for each pickup AND the set, or should I just do each pickup OR the set? I'm not concerned about spending the extra few bucks or the extra soldering...I just want the most flexibility I can get, as long as it'll actually make a difference. Thanks!
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi Teacher,

it is a matter of taste ...
    You can wire your two p pickups in series. It's the same like wiring to Js in series.
    To ME, series Js are "enough" and series Ps wouls be "too strong and punchy" ...

5 days ago I made the diagram of a "DiMarzio Jazz Bass" (4 coils as yours) with a 5 way rotary switch (with 4 "layers"). The same can be done with a 5-way lever "Super Switch".

You find drawing 2.3.55 on page 271 (version 3.86 - croll down to find the "Bassschaltungen386.pdf" link): http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t2...chaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html

Position 1/3/5 are the normal wirings (upper, both, lower PU). In position 2/4 the coils are mixed. So, you get upper EA plus lower DG coil - or lower EA with upper DG coil ...

Only question is, if you want such combinations - and if it sounds with your bass ...