Double precision bass bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4bassguitar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

have decided to to turn my squier p bass into a double precision bass. I have been told to use a higher output pickup in the bridge, and to reverse the location of the bass and treble coils. My neck pickup is a Bill Lawrence Wilde P-46 (awesome sounding p pickup btw). The p-46 replaced a Dimarzio model p, which I am deciding to use as the bridge pickup. I originally replaced this pickup because of the high output causing my amp to clip. Through many hours of reading talkbass threads I hear many wire dimarzio pickups in parallel to omit this issue. How would this work in the bridge position? Should I keep the pickup wired in series? I'm using a rotary switch as a pickup selector. Advice would be great thanks
  2. abemo

abemo

Remember, given that there is less overall string vibration near the bridge, the bridge pickup should be hotter than the neck so they can balance out (greater range of vibration=louder), so I wouldn't do anything to weaken the model p. Plus, if each pup has an independant volume, or if they're going through a blend pot you can always turn it down.

The bigger question would be how the two pups would blend tonally. I've never used a wilde, so beats me.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Two Ps work fine. I have a bass like that. You don't have to wire one in parallel.
  4. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

So glad sdg chimed in, I'm planning for the controls to be master volume, 5- way rotary, and master tone push-pull equipped with q-filter.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Teacher

Teacher

Bill Lawrence, like other makers (including our own SGD!), can specially wind a p pickup for bridge position so your set is perfectly matched. Just FYI.
  7. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

Well I already have the pickups, my p bass is just having major surgery