1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Double P's: What's out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sikamikanico, Dec 2, 2012.

1. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

I'm looking for double P basses. What are the options out there, in the sub $500 or so range (used)?

Ideally, it would be a reverse double P... think Lee Sklar's double P...

I'm not too picky about design at this "let's see what's out there" stage, so anything is game.

I can start with what I know already: BC Rich...
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Under $500? Fender blacktop jazz I think falls into that price range.

A Precision Elite II will run you at least $900, and that is if you find a good price.
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I bought an old Yamaha BB400 (reverse P) and added another reverse P at the bridge. I have always felt that this should be the standard configuration as it gives the D and G strings a little more bottom. Great sound, However I am still planning to move the neck pup about 1" closer to the neck, about where Lee Sklar has his. Then I will need to have a custom pick guard made to cover the hole. I hope it is worth it!!!
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Isn't Fender currently making these under $500 in their Blacktop series? I don't pay much attention but I know I've seen a couple dual "P" models floating around lately that fall under the "inexpensive" umbrella.
    [​IMG]
  5. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Any bass with emg "dc" style cases can be converted to a double p setup. Just replace the DC's with 35p or 40p pups. Lots more options that way as well.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I love Fender basses ... but they always put the P pickup in backwards.
  7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Still sounds good. Don't know if it would have the same iconic tone otherwise.
  8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Several choices among used BC Rich NJ series basses.
  9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    At that budget I'd be inclined to get a Squier VM and mod it. You can easily reverse the coils on the existing pickup since the routing is actually pretty large, just need a new pickguard and routing for the bridge pickup.
  10. Marton

Marton

70s Vantage bass. I see these a lot on kijiji around here. You can find one under $500 for sure. Here's a picture of one I found on google.

[​IMG]
  11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Thanks all, I like the input so far!

I really like this Vantage. Are there any other similar (vintage, Japanese) double P basses?

Modding a P-bass is always an option, but I'd first want to see which ones were conceived to be Double P's.
  12. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

You mean a double P like this?

[​IMG]
  13. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

See, this is why I suck at investing: No patience!
    I sold my 1985 Fender Precision Elite II a dozen years ago...for $200. If I'd known they were gonna sell for $900 twelve years later I might've hung on to it!