Doubler vs. the iAmp Pro

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Don Sibley, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Don Sibley

Don Sibley Supporting Member

I'm looking for a new amp to pair with either one of the fEarless or BigE cabs eventually (haven't decided which yet). I've tried the Doubler before and while I found it to be very neutral sounding, it didn't work well with my Realist and I found the 3-band EQ very limiting. Seems like the Realist works better with BG equipment. Now that I'm on the Ehrlund I'm thinking of giving the EA heads another shot. I'm leaning toward the iAmp Pro for the super versatile EQ and extra power.

My question is, how do the Doubler and Pro compare tonally? Is the pro tuned more for the BG or does it have the same neutral character? I noticed the "passive input" on the pro is set to 1 Meg ohm just like the 1/4" on the Doubler so that shouldn't be an issue and I own the Ehrlund preamp and all three fDeck preamps so I can use those. Also, I only use my DPA for FOH so I don't need the XLR input or phase correction capability.

Anyone have experience with the Pro for URB? Thanks.

2. chris dammann

chris dammann

I came here looking for an answer to this very question.

3. Don Sibley

Looks like I'm going to find out. Just scored an iAmp Pro from the classifieds. Woot!

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

BD,
    I don't think you could go wrong with the additional power and EQ available from the iAmp Pro. One of the reasons I haven't yet sprung for a Doubler is it's power amp.

Ric

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Don Sibley

What setup are you running for URB? I think I remember your name from the fEarless threads??

7. Don Sibley

I now have the ultimate weapon in the fight against bad tone. This EQ is killer! As soon as I start to learn how to pinpoint issues according to their resident frequencies I will be unstoppable!

iAmp Pro FTW!

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

BD,
    I'm fortunate enough to own a Walter Woods Ultra. in combination with a TC112 it's small, powerful, and has a great tonal pallet.

Ric