1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Douglas basses from Rondo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I'm looking for a new bass that will give me an old school, woody thump for jazz and blues. I'm also hoping to find something with a short scale because I have mild chronic soreness and stiffness in my fretting index finger, and a short scale tends to have looser strings than a standard scale.

I found what seems to be the perfect bass for me: a Douglas violin base from Rondo. It ticks most of the boxes I'm interested in: short scale, fretless, lightweight, woody tone, and very cheap. The only problem is that I've never heard much about Douglas basses. I've heard a lot of good things about Rondo's Agile series of guitar, and their SX basses are supposed to be good for the price, but the Douglas basses might be different.

Has anyone here owned one? What do you think of them?
  2. RickBlair

RickBlair

I have one that I bought a few years ago. I couldn't find any defects in the construction or finish. Very well made. The balance, like on most violin basses, tends to be neck-heavy. I added a 3rd strap button on the side of the body at the neck heel to stop the bass from flopping forward as well as neck diving. Now it just neck dives, but I usually play sitting so it's not a big deal.

Flatwound strings and adjusting the pickups down low give a good reproduction of the woody acoustic sound of the bass. Pickups up high are pretty strong and too boomy for my taste.

Rick B.
  3. dabbler

dabbler

4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

This. And the guitars in the same order of general quality are: SX<douglas<Agile

I don't have anything other than SX basses, but I have 4 and they are all very good. Even if the Douglas are of the same(not better)quality than the SX, they would be worth the money.
  5. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I had a Douglas fretless in the past and it was a fine bass for the money. I had a Rondo Beatle Bass and it was OK, but it seemed to do a few tones pretty well, and the many tones not at all.

Re: looseness of strings, there are sooooooo many brands of strings out there in pretty much any tension you might want. Unless you really prefer shortscales (some folks do!), then it should just be a matter of fining a set of low tension strings.

TI Jazz Flats and almost all brands of tapewounds are super low tension. Some may be pricey, but will last for years.
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I bought one for my daughter, great little bass for the money! I liked it so much I bought one for myself. I have a '65 Hofner and the Douglas captures the vibe nicely.
  7. NAPPYHEAD

NAPPYHEAD

I HAVE 5 DOUGLAS BASS GUITARS. FOR THE MONEY YOU CAN NOT BEAT THESE BASS GUITARS. ALL I CAN SAY IF YOU WANT A FIVE OR SIX STRING GET ONE OF THE WOB OR SCUPLTURE FIVE STRING, THEY LOOK AND PLAY JUST FINE, YOU WILL NOT BE MAD, BOTH MODELS COST LESS THAN 190.00 GREAT BASS, GET YOU ONE. LOVE-TRUTH-PEACE-FREEDOM AND JUSTICE, LOVE YA, OUT