1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Down sizing from a svt cl and a 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RaincityhXc, Sep 19, 2013.

1. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Hey guys so I am taking a break from playing in bands and going to work up north. So with that being said I can't bring a 8x10 with me I am wondering what type of head and cab would you recommend I'm thinking either a 2x10 or a 2x12. The head should be rack mountable and able to be loud enough for small gigs with pa support. I play metal music with a slight distortion Also I do play guitar and was looking at the fractal units and was wondering if playing guitar and bass and the abilities to record off of it and all the endless tone shaping in it. Help me out guys

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  3. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Yeah like how good would a axe fx work with bass

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    V4B/SVT 212av might work for you if you still want an Ampeg tube amp. The 212av isn't quite out yet (any day), but the V4B is. 100w, 41 lbs, will get balls loud but sounds awesome at mellower volumes too. I have one and it kills. Makes a nifty but loud guitar amp, too ;)

The Axe-FX is quite cool from what I've heard, very high end digital. I like emulators, too. But it's still woefully lacking bass emulations, and at the end of the day, it's still an emulation. Great for recording distorted tracks late at night when you can't crank and mic an amp, also is great when you want to change up sounds on a gig but don't want multiple rigs. But give me the real thing any day.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Based on what you say you want.. the first thing that popped into my head was a GK700RB-II with a GK Neo 212-II cab. Portable, rack-mountable, powerful and punchy! The head has that quick response that metal guys like. No mud. Plus the tweeter stays clean when you turn up the drive (with the proper chord) because it has it's own amp (bi-amp). I played this head in my last hard rock band and it performed VERY well. Great setup right here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-700rb-ii-bass-head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-neo-212-ii-2x12-600w-bass-cabinet

:bassist:

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I forgot to mention, GK's sound great with guitars through them. My friend "borrowed" my 400B for three years and sounded better than the other guy who had a MESA!!

8. Figjam

Figjam

I second the V4b. I wouldnt go too different from what you are used to.

I would go with a 1x15.

9. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

I was also looking for a preamp and a power amp but not sure. My local music store doesn't have a lot of heads excepts for traynors and ampegs. I've used the 1001 once and liked it alot

10. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

My large rig is and SVT-CL that I run through an Bergantino NV412. My smaller rig is a Mesa Walkabout through a Bergantino AE212 and it sounds amazing. I feel the Walkabout is the closest you can get to a full tube amp whilst being very portable. I would say that rig gets me very, very close to my larger rig and is uber portable. Might even be my favourite rig so far.

Michael

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

I'd suggest an SVT 3pro and a Schroeder 1212

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Axe FX works with bass, there are SVT presets. If that is what you want, nothing competes with it, be prepared to pay for professional quality though.

With what you have given us for info I could list piles of options, you will have to be more specific. Do you want to retain the Ampeg tone? I personally wouldn't so I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to stick with it. If it was me I would just get a little combo since you will have P.A support.

13. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

my small unit is an Ampeg SVT 7 pro and an Epifani UL410 .. pretty much can play any style through that

14. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

I wanna have that crisp distortion like nolly from periphery(even though I know he uses the dark glass). Be able to clean it up be able to still handle low notes I can give some bands that may help if you want. I play a dingwall combustion and a fender p with dimarzio model ps

15. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

For the ampeg tone I wanna try my hand into some gk heads and branch out and experiment I mostly play metal
    As for a combo I would rather have a separate head and can preferably a 2x12 or 2x10

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I wanted the GK sound so I bought Ampeg!

:D

17. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

After to listening to a bunch of clips and all that I am able to do with it. I've decided on the axe fx. Reason being if I brought just the unit and my computer and two studio monitor I would be able to play through the monitors and for shows I can pa out or worse comes to worse plug in via the fx in on a backline

18. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Now we need to look at power amps and cabs. Recommend them go go go

19. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

This^ it's less coin, made in the USA and sounds as good or better than any other option.

When you get back you can add a second 212 and you'll have an easy to move amp that sounds great, loud enough for any gig and your spine will thank you.

20. RaincityhXc

RaincityhXc

Looks like I'll be making a stop at my local shop to try it. Would u recommended the 700 or the 1001

21. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

I guess I am in a different camp...

for the price of that AxeFX, you could get class d head and 2x10

in fact I am gigging with this rig tonight

Zoom MS-60B -> GK MB-500 -> Avatar 2x10 cab

The Zoom is cheap, and has a lot of effects and amp emulation for cheap

The GK has plenty of power, feather light, and has DI out

Avatar cab is right for the price.

Anything along those lines. I also rotate my Markbass Little Mark III for the amp ( I actually use it more often).