1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Down To One Bass - Can't Motivate A Backup!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Nov 25, 2012.

1. theevilplankton

theevilplankton

After a recent bit of selling for various reasons, I find myself down to one bass.

I sold a few, and picked up a 2012 American Standard Precision in 3TS. I foolishly sold a 2010 version some time ago - massive regret - so just had to go for one of those.

Now, without a backup, I'm really struggling to even be tempted by anything else. I know I need a backup, but nothing seems to get the juices flowing!

I've had Rics (don't really want to go back there), Jazz's are too small neck-wise for me, not really into the active stuff or more 'modern' shapes.....

Have got the option of a used Custom Shop '55 P - looks lovely, but the single-coil pup worries me in the fact my 2012 P would blow it out of the water! Maybe I'm wrong?

At the moment, I can't think of anything else. I'd like a second bass to be something I can see as an equal to turn to....and right now, I can't see past the US P!

I've never been in this situation before - maybe I found bass nirvana?

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

A single coil P would be a great backup for a split coil P.

No, I don't think your split coil P will blow a single coil P out of the water.

3. NOVAX

NOVAX

Another Precision.
    Different fingerboard.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

If it’s just for backup (and not for another feel/tone) I’d get another Fender P bass - a top loaded one so you can use any strings rather than the tapered E string used on the standard MIA P basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Waster

Waster

Another 2012 American Standard? Maybe add a jazz p'up in the bridge for a bit of variation if you need to. I'm glad you like your American Standard so much; hopefully one of those will be my next bass!

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1

OR sting one with flats and the other with rounds.

8. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

I thinned my herd down to a single active, MM Sterling, and a fretless, P Jazz Japanese, a couple of years ago. The nasal tone of the PJ drove me to distraction so I sold it and thought that was it.

I play upright too, so it was okay just to have one 'slab' bass. However, my interests in a black and blond passive lead to a P copy and I was very happy. Then, a Craigslist Tune ebg came by and again I was happy to throw a Ben Franklin into another active bass. So I am back up to three and holding.

So, I think it is a cycle thing with basses. We wind down and up. GAS is hot air, and the unique sounds of an instrument, or the look, drive us to buy another.

9. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

build a warmoth jazz with a p neck on it

10. bmc

bmc

Buy one Sadowsky. It's the only bass you will ever need.

11. NOVAX

NOVAX

Go away! Just kidding. You could have 2 or 3 u.s. p's for the price of one roger.;)

12. awilkie84

awilkie84

While they come with a tapered string, you don't NEED one on the string-thru. My P-5 can take a .132 with cloth wrap. It actually fits better through the body than it does the bridge top-load.