1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Download Codes?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SnowCal, Jan 15, 2014.

1. SnowCal

SnowCal

Has anybody used these? What have been your experiences? Here's some examples of commercial download card providers:

http://members.cdbaby.com/music-download-cards.aspx
    https://bandcamp.com/codes_how_to

We opened at another band's album release show a little while back and they were using these (from CDBaby). Here's what they did:

They made a ton of these download codes. The cover for their album release show was a lot higher than a typical gig in this town but it included a download code for their new album. I think the cover was $10. Still cheaper than a CD and for that price you get a digital copy of an album and a good show. Not a bad deal. They then proceeded to sell out a 650-cap club. After paying us and another opening band my guess is that they left with north of $6000 from the cover. I'd be interested to see how this affected CD sales and later digital sales. My guess is that they managed to sell a lot of copies of their album to people who were interested but probably wouldn't have bought a copy normally.

So just something to consider (especially for you guys in originals bands). I can imagine a lot of ways for download codes to be dumbly used including some very similar to this, but it seems to me that this worked well for them.