1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Downsides to replacing tailpiece hanger with cable?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by crgaston, Nov 5, 2013.

1. crgaston

crgaston

Are there any?

I have an old Kay with Spiro mittels that sounds and plays great, though it could stand a new endpin. I'm thinking that it would make sense to switch to a cable "tailgut" when I replace the endpin. I've heard the benefits of doing so, but am wondering if there are any potential negatives.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

The only thing I can think of is you won't like the sound or feel as much, but I doubt that will happen. It's an easy thing to try out and completely reversible!

3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Eventually, you'll have to replace the old bent metal hangar on your Kay. At some point in the life on an old Kay, almost every one I've ever seen has been at an important gig and that old p.o.s. crimped thing from the factory breaks loose in a sudden, castrophic failure right when the whole world is watching you.....

Often, there is a moderately noticeable difference in the response of an old Kay when you change out the tailwire. Depending upon your ears and preference, you may like it, or you may be in the crusty-crusty, same-old same-old, "whole lotta nuthin' " place where you want it to sound just like it did from the factory, and not like the sound. The only way to know is to swap it out; 'pretty simple task and easy on your wallet.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com