1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Downtuning Gibson SG bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-bottom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

I play in a pretty doomy band that tunes down to C# and sometimes drop B.
    Right now I have a MIA Fender P bass that is set up for C# standard and I'm thinking about picking up another bass and get it set up for B standard.
    I dig the Gibson Sg bass but I'm on the fence about picking it up because I am not sure how it will handle and sound in such a low tuning.
    My concern is that it will sound super muddy, mor so than the P bass.

Thoughts?
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Just curious what aspects of the SG bass attracted you to it?
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

The strings will be loose like yarn and it will sound super muddy.
  4. b-bottom

I dug the short scale and just the way that it plays. I like that you have to fight it a bit
  5. b-bottom

If the bass is set up in that tuning the strings won't be floppy. This is what I had done to the P bass.
    However I'm more curious about the sound because I've never heard one of those basses tuned that low before
  6. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

If you use thick strings I think youll be fine. It will be a really full tone without mids I imagine.
  7. hsech

hsech Your opinion doesn't trump mine. Gold Supporting Member

I own a Gibson SG bass, and IMHO it probably would sound muddy being downtuned. My SG sounds muddy in standard tuning if my amp isn't tweaked really well. Just my opinion.
  8. b-bottom

That's kind of what I was thinking would happen.
  9. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

I keep my SG bass tuned to Eb and it sounds fine. If you use the BEAD from a 5-string set for B standard, I don't see why the bass wouldn't be able to handle it.
  10. b-bottom

I'm sure that it would handle it. I'm just wondering if the overall sound would be even more muddy than the P bass
  11. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I've drop tuned an Epiphone EB-0 to drop D before and it was pretty floppy. I don't think I'd do it again, but with the right setup it might work out.
  12. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I use a short-scale Gibson Flying V bass for some songs in Drop C. It is not in any way "muddy." It helps to have a heavier low string -- I use a set of LaBella's with a .110 thickest string. For anything lower than C I would probably get a 5-string set and toss the thinnest string.

I will say that the bass is short on mids, which means it doesn't cut through the mix with two loud rock/metal guitars as well as my main Carvin bass. I imagine the SG would be similar. But if you're in a "doomy" band, you may appreciate the heavy low end -- I wouldn't recommend it as a primary bass for, say, a thrash band, but it might be right up your alley. A lot of this can be manipulated by EQ as well.
  13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I'm not sure what that means. I'm not much on set ups for down tuning, can you explain that to me?
  14. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

I'm not sure what the poster meant, as a setup can't change string tension (much, perceived tension maybe), but if you use a heavy enough string you can tune to sub-audible tunings and still not have floppy strings.

I play short scales in Eb and find that I have to use at least a medium gauge string to be happy with the tension. If I tuned down any lower I'd consider using a BEAD set and tuning up slightly.

With the tension sorted out, there's no reason that the bass would sound muddier in a lower tuning.
  15. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have LaBella 760FM .049-.109 strings on my SG.
    They will do a drop D no problem
    I just tried a C# not to bad, B no way.
  16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Drop C# on my P or J basses....a bit floppy but not a huge problem with heavy strings.

The 2009 Gibson SG RI I used to own tuned to C#.... Farts. Seriously....down 3 semitones on a 30" bass just doesn't work for me. Tuning a BEAD set up may work but I never bothered.
  17. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

By it's very nature, an SG bass is going to sound "darker" than a P-bass. Muddy? I don't know. I play my SG through an Ampeg, and the last thing I would call the tone is mud. It sounds very deep. If you already like the bass, everything should be fine and dandy.
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member