Dr. Bass 12" w/Tweeter

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Nate74, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

This cabinet was originally a Dr. Bass LF112. A well built cabinet with some nice features built by one of the scummiest guys in the industry (thus no nameplate on the grill). The driver is a Celestion BN12-300S which I find to be an excellent mid powered neo bass driver and was original to the box.

When I got it, it had Peavey ECS-150X crossover in it. It was a pretty elaborate setup that let you run the cab full range with one input, or with another input it ran the cabinet below 150Hz and allowed the signal over 150Hz to pass through via a 1/4" jack. This second option was so you could use it as a subwoofer if you didn't have a crossover in your system.

I liked the way it sounded full range so I removed the Peavey crossover and ran it full range for a while. Later to add a little high end sizzle, I added a Tang tweeter and experimented a bit with crossover frequencies. Eventually I settled in on 3.5kHz and installed an Eminence PX2:3K5 crossover with L-Pad. It crosses over the tweeter at 3.5kHz and allows you to dial it in with the control knob. Runs at 8 ohms.

It has a couple nice features that I should also point out. It has a pole mount and has feet on two sides so you can use it "tall" or "short" depending on your preference. I used it "tall" most of the time though did use it on a speaker stand at a gig, just to see if I liked it. It also has a recessed strap handle so your amp will sit flat on top of the unit. Pretty fancy... ;)

This is a great little box that despite being the product of a pretty big flake is a really well built, and great sounding unit.

The "tuff coat" finish is in excellent shape, as is the whole unit. This was my first cabinet with this type of finish and it's pretty much indestructible from what I can tell.

15"x15.5"x20.5" & 32lbs on the bathroom scale

I'm guessing most folks around here would want this cab in it's current configuration, but if you are interested in the Peavey Crossover, we can certainly work something out.

As it's configured now, I'm asking $325 shipped W. of the Mississippi, $350 E. of the Mississippi. Consideration for local sale.

Also, because I remember being a poor student... If you email me a scanned in current student ID, I'll take $50 off.

Thanks for looking. SOLD
  2. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass Supporting Member

What are the dimensions and weight? Thanks.
  3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Why would it need a pole mount when it is a bass cab? right... :confused:

Edit: oh I see, this was modified to the point it became a sound system cab....
  4. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

15"x15.5"x20.5" & 32lbs on the bathroom scale

There's also a trend among upright players to use pole mounted cabs. My instructor uses a K10 (active pa cabinet) on a pole. Puts the sound closer to his head and isn't directing it into the back of the bass's body so feedback is less of an issue. But yes, I suspect this cabinet spent some of it's life as part of a PA rig given the crossover that was in it when I got it; though I'm not sure why you'd put a sub on a stand...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Perhaps the sub was on the ground and full-range boxes were mounted on poles above the sub. I've done this....

dcr
  7. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

That absolutely makes sense. Though currently, the feet are on the same side as the pole mount. I suppose there could have been feet on the opposite side at some point and it's since been patched up. This LineX/TuffCoat stuff is pretty easy to touch up.
  8. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

I love the student discounted option. I'm going to do that next time I sell something if you don't mind me borrowing that idea.
  9. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Borrow away! I figure it would have been nice to get some help in the early days, so now I'm sort of in a position to help a bit, why not?
  10. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

All PM's replied to and OP has been updated with requested info.
  11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

PM sent with offer.

dcr
  12. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Replied. :)
  13. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

And back to ya!

dcr
  14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

And another on the way...

dcr
  15. JohnnyLiBass

JohnnyLiBass Supporting Member

Sorry if you said this and I missed it. What's the power handling on this cab?
  16. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

It'd be 300-watts full range. Once you start messing with LPFs, as in with the Peavey Crossover, things change; but as it is setup now, it'd be 300watts.
  17. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Is this 8 ohms?
  18. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Yes 8 ohms. Modified OP as well.
  19. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Two interesting trade offers - PMs replied to. Not really looking to trade this for other cabinets at this point. Thanks but holding out for cash.
  20. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

21. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.