DR flatwound - in depth questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pier_, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Pier_

Pier_

hi! reading various threads about those strings, i couldn't figure out some things:

first af all: are they "balanced" in both tension and sound?

I love my TI JF344, but they're not so balanced and not so smooth, and after three years I'd like to change and try something different.

I've used Chromes (too bright), Pyramid Gold (too muted), Labella (too stiff), Rotosound (rough...) and the new Fender (chromes...).

my "needs" are smooth surface strings (Pyramid were perfect in that), thuddy-but-alive-sound (where the Pyramids lose) and I'd like to elude high tension.

for the smooth surface, it seems that DRs are perfect, "glassy".

but the tension? are they balanced or I'm going to play with stiffer D or G, and thing like that?

how is the tension?

being roundcore, I guess they are not siff, but compared to Chromes or TI?

how is the sound, after all?

someone says they are "modern with less "thud"", others wrote "dull, like putting a pillow on the amp"

where's the truth?

what I'd like is a thuddy sound, classic flatwound "fundamental" tone, and TIs are not giving me that. they sound perfect in a context like "beatles" or similar, all those sound Paul had with the Rickenbacker, "rubbery" and "singing" sounds.

where to go? or in the end I'll better stick to my TI?
  2. elgecko

elgecko

I went from La Bella Jamerson flats to DR flats. They're similar in sound but the DRs are a bit more percussive and have a little more grit....less "round" sounding than the La Bellas. I can't comment on the tension since I'm not very sensitive to unbalanced tensions.
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

1. I found them to be fairly well balanced in terms of both sound and tension, once they are broken in.

2. I would characterize the tension as 'medium'. Definitely stiffer than TIs, which resemble wet noodles to my hands, but not as stiff as Chromes.

3. Darker than Chromes, less boing than TIs, and they don't have the clarity that Sadowsky Black Label flats have.

I would say they approach the sound and feel of Sadowsky BL flats, but are darker. If I couldn't use the Sadowskys I'd use DR Legends flats.
  4. Pier_

Pier_

nice, it sounds like they are probably what I need. I don't like extreme clarity from flats, and that's why I sticked to the TIs for years. they "fill" the band's sound, not jumping out of the mix, and Chromes do the opposite, they punch your face but are a bit weak in filling the sound on bass/mid bass frequencies.
  5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Feel: very flexible, just smooooooth! loved em on my pbass for 3 months then switched them onto my fretless.

Sound: Nice powerful low mid (e sounded a little unbalanced/thin in the low mid department though.... but nothing too noticeable in the mix)
  6. Pier_

Pier_

someone can make a sound sample of these DRs? I've searched on youtube and on this forum, but YT videos are mostly low quality, and inside this forum i couldn't find anythind so far...
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I checked my notes from a long time ago, and I have 'percussive' written after them .. not in a brittle kind of way, but more pronounced when the string is struck, if that makes any sense ... I remember they were VERY smooth, but I have also found that one mans smooth can be another mans 'sticky' depending on string content and skin reaction to it ... I also had an extra A string brand new in the package that I sent back to DR as I had requested a replacement as the original was taking much longer than the rest to 'come in' ... shortly after I received it, it did come around so I never used it .. good customer service though ... I moved on from the DR's, currently using very old Dean Markley flats, Chromes and Sad flats ...

... I have found that it makes such a difference depending on what bass they are used on and its components, and then you add to that the amplification factors, sealed/ported cabs, etc ... the only real way to tell is to get a set and try them for yourself in your own situation ... there is always a market for used flats, so there is not much risk ... JMHO
  8. Pier_

Pier_

well, talking about feeling and smoothness, my favourite are the Pyramids. they are really smooth, glass-like, on every string.

but they sound much "muted" than every other set I've tried, and it was a problem. if only they had a bit more sustain, they'd be perfect...